10spd chainring setup

divingmoose
divingmoose Posts: 540
edited May 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi,
I am looking at going to 10spd double chainring and been told that a good setup that allows the ability to climb okay with average fitness is 38/24 and rear casstette of 11/34 does this sound about right to give me good climbing range. I have a good level of fitness but still need that help on the climbs
Thanks

Comments

• rickbst170
    rickbst170 Posts: 228
    Depends on how steep a climb you're looking at. I just built up a 24/38 and 11-36, and all weekend I had no use for the 24 granny whatsoever. 38 front, 36 rear covered pretty much everything steep and the granny just spun so quickly I couldn't get any traction. Actually, there was a pretty wide, steep downhill singletrack with nothing technical in it, where I was thinking I might need bigger than 38/11.

My fitness is pretty shoddy (lungs, not legs let me down) but thinking for most of the terrain I'll be riding (flat and down hill singletrack, occasionally open bridalways between singletracks, very rare climb which I'll just have to churn out), I think 26/40 or 28/42 might be better.

That's with 36t cassette though.
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    The only way to find out what chainrings you need will be to ride with what you have and find out where you need the extra gears. it all depends on your strength and the terrain you're riding.

I'm currently riding a 2x9 setup, using a 36/24T chainrings and 11-34 cassette. It's pretty much perfect for me and the riding I do, which involves a lot of very steep hills and technical descents so climbing and short burst of acceleration are more important than top speed. In another part of the country I'd be hugely under-geared (as in, too low) I suspect.
  • BigAl
    BigAl Posts: 3,122
    I take it you have a triple currently?

Just keep a (mental) note of what gears you are using at the top and bottom ends.

You can then calculate the min and max ratios you need, then calculate what rings you need on a 2X set-up to give you the same range. Maybe with a bit of 'buffer' at the bottom end

Sheldon Brown's webby has a gear calculator
  • divingmoose
    divingmoose Posts: 540
    Thanks guys, my fitness is reasonable standard and most riding is dalby forest and go to wales a bit. Dalby has some hard steep climbs so wondered what was best really
  • rickbst170
    rickbst170 Posts: 228
    As big al said, test what you need and go from there. Happy to help decide on rings if you can tell us what smallest and biggest combo you use in your triple. if you currently use 22 front and 34 rear, you want to keep it. If you only use 22 front and 21 rear (ratio 2.0) you can do 26 front 34 rear for same ratio (2.0).

Just need to know wheel size and crank length.