Granite chief 2014

revmatt
revmatt Posts: 75
edited August 2014 in MTB buying advice
In an attempt to pay it forward here is my journey towards the new MTB I've ordered - a ROSE granite chief 1 with upgrades.

I decided on the sale of my road bike that I wanted:

1) An all round full susser, capable of riding anything from thetford forest to the Alps. I definitely wanted to go down the one bike strategy initially.

2) I really really wanted an Orange 5. I could not afford it. So I wanted a bike that in a couple of years I might be able to manipulate into a frame swap. This meant 650b to be future proof and having spent a year on a 29er I knew I didn't want another one.

3) I wanted max value for money.

4) I am 6'2.5 / 189cms and 90kgs unladen. Size is an important decision for me.

This last point is why I ended up at the German direct order retailers. I spent a lot of time looking at Canyon, Radon, YT industries and Rose in making my choice.

For my budget, (maximum £1850), a number of UK/local shop bought bikes fell into that bracket.

I test rode the 2014 GT sensor at £1750 and must give a huge thumbs up to sussed out suspension for their refreshingly honest advice and attitude.

But with regards value for money nothing came close to the spec of the Germans.

I was put off Canyon due to the uncertain sizing.
Many of the Canyons only go to size L and I found both their size calculator and some of the reviews to be confusing regards size.

Radon only had bikes within my budget that were 26" wheels. I figured if I was going 26 I might as well buy second hand off ebay and save a packet.

YT industries - by far the best looking of the direct order bikes, are currently beyond my budget.

This left Rose.

The Granite chief is branded as an all mountain/tour machine. There are 3 types (1-3) with 1 being the cheapest at £1400 and the 2 starting at £1800 ish. I didn't look at the 3.

I spent a lot of time on their website. I flitted with the 1 & the 2. As expected the 2 has better spec.

In the end I opted for the 1 and upgraded it to around the same price as the 2. My reason for this is that I wanted XT brakes, and to equip the 2 with XT pushed it out of my budget.

But the Granite chief 1 - with XT brakes, 2014 120-150mm pikes, an XT/SLX group and basic finishing kit was a shade over £1800. It ticked all my boxes. It should weigh roughly 13.5 kgs - but confirmation of that to follow!

I spent a lot of time comparing geometry and debating over size. At 189 cm I am in between L and XL.

My cube 29er HT is XL and feels like a barn gate. I test rode an orange 5 19" and it was very cramped. The GT sensor L felt fine, but the sussed out guys reckoned an XL would be better.

I was going round in circles on size, changing my mind on a minute by minute basis! I read THIS BIKE SIZE ARTICLE and if you read nothing else, read the final paragraph - the bloke is obviously threaders with idiots like me asking him bone questions!!

All the forums say 'test it out before you buy', well that is fine for you normal percentile person - but let me tell you getting your hands on your chosen XL to test is nearly impossible. I figured if I wasn't going to get a test ride on an XL I'd be taking a risk anyway, so why not risk it with a direct buy.

Rose have a rudimentary size calculator based on inseam. my inseam of 90(ish) put me just over a 20" frame.
I also spoke to two of their German reps and the British rep all of whom independently voted Large. The one month right to return (with free courier) on either the whole bike or just stem won me over. If it arrived and was horrific, I could change.

So to clarify - I opted for Large.

Many said an XL with a shorter stem would be a good idea, but I'm going to try the 'smaller bike' theory and try the L. It comes up larger than the Orange Large and in between the cube L and XL on paper. That and I went with my gut instinct.

I can add wide riser bars or a layback post if i find it too uncomfortable - or as mentioned return it if required, though only after a scout u the road as it'll need to be mint to return.

The customer service I received was very good. Most of the emails I sent were replied to informatively and promptly, particularly from their German store. I found their Uk rep reasonable, though I ended up phoning him, as getting a prompt reply to an email was a bit hit and miss. Loads of people on the internet sang his praises and spoke of long test rides, but predictably he had no L or XL's in the GC available to test and lived on the other side of the country - so that was a bust. Once again tall people fall foul of being able to test ride!

When I came to purchase the process was simple. The online configuration is good, but its only amazing on the top level bikes. On the entry bikes, like my GC1 - you are a bit limited on finishing kit. The GC2 had better options, but as previously mentioned was pushing 2k with XT brakes.

I was able to specify the Anodised black frame - and I asked them to change the rocker and seat post clamp also to black. With black pikes I'm hoping its going to look nails. The only colour addition I've planned is a Renthal fatbar, but I'm going to ride it a bit first. I also asked for a medium cage rear mech to go with the double chainset. All of these things Rose seemed willing to ascent to - time will tell if any of it happens. They were requests made in the notes rather than official configuration options.

I'm posting this to see if I can help other people out with their research. I must admit I only found a few posts from others based on the GC but what I did found I was grateful for - so hopefully those looking into buying one can add this to their bookmarks.

I found these articles helpful when researching:

http://enduro-mtb.com/en/biketest-rose-granite-chief-650b-2014/

http://enduro-mtb.com/en/grouptest-trailbikes-rose-granite-chief-2/

http://www.mtb-check.com/review-rose-granite-chief/

I ordered mine today 5th May 2014. I will report back with updates, arrivals, and try and put in a few reports after months have gone by to build a more complete picture of tall blokes buying direct and sizing.

If you have any questions, or if I've missed anything you'd like to know please don't hesitate to ask - we've got 5 weeks to discuss :D

Pictures and updates to follow!

Cheers

Rev

EDIT to include spec list:

Frames GRANITE CHIEF, AL 7005, ab ca. 2,7 kg L
Fork Rock Shox Pike RC 2P 150 mm, 15 mm
Wheels DT Swiss M 1900 Spline 27,5"
Tyres Schwalbe Nobby Nic Evo SnakeSkin 27,5x2,35
crankset Shimano XT 38/26 FC-M785
rear D Shimano SLX
chain Shimano XT CN-HG95
sprocket Shimano SLX
Levers Shimano SLX
front D Shimano XT
brake SHIMANO XT 203mm/180mm
seat post Easton EA70 Zero
saddle ROSE
handlebar Race Face Ride, flat wide, 710mm
Grips Rose lock on
Dampers Rock Shox Monarch RT3
stem Race Face RIDE XC 70mm
Pedals None
Spacers Alu Spacer-Set 20mm

£1846

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    You won't be disappointed with the Granite Chief, I rode the old model and it was great.
    I have ridden with the uk rep at bike park wales when he was on the 2014 model and I struggled to keep up, it looks like a great bike. It also looks very similar in size to my XL Nukeproof Mega TR.
    To be honest, I would take the Granite Chief over an Orange Five, it's a much more modern, better built and lighter frame.
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    Very nice bike, and well written post. Enjoy the bike.
  • revmatt
    Looks like a marathon post in hindsight, but really wanted to give people an extra dynamic in their research.

Rockmonkey, I read a few of your replies in other posts - thanks. Your comment has made my day and confirmed my purchase in my head!

McNulty - hopefully more to come.

Rev
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    I have ridden with the uk rep at bike park wales when he was on the 2014 model and I struggled to keep up, it looks like a great bike.

Maybe he's just faster :wink:
  • Qui3tman
    Qui3tman Posts: 94
    Nice post Revmatt, I find myself in a similar situation to yourself so it's nice to see someone else's thought process!
  • rockmonkeysc
    I have ridden with the uk rep at bike park wales when he was on the 2014 model and I struggled to keep up, it looks like a great bike.

Yes, but I should have been able to stay with him. It's easier following someone than leading.
  • broona
    broona Posts: 414
    I took my new Granite Chief 2 to Hamsterley on Sunday for its first ride out and was just blown away by it, the Pike is amazing!

Coming from a 130mm XC Boardman FS Pro, a 150mm AM bike is so much more fun on the downhills and no slower at all uphill, loved it, probably the best day out on a bike I've ever had, and we only did 13.5 miles, lol!

Rose were excellent at dealing with queries too, within 24 hours via email, and almost everyone I spoke to on the phone was fluent in English, very handy when all I can do is order a large beer in German...

They stated 4 weeks for delivery when I ordered it, and it arrived 4 weeks to the day later, the only problem was they'd forgot to fit the different bars I specced up, but a quick phone call on Friday to let them know resulted in the proper bars turning up this morning, and they'll cover all costs to return the wrong ones, brilliant! :)

My spec, not sure how it compares to yours, but for what I wanted, the GC 1 ended up being more expensive than the GC 2 :-

GRANITE CHIEF, AL 7005, ab ca. 2,7 kg, dark-grey/matt-black M
    Fork Rock Shox Pike RC 2P 150 mm, 15 mm, black
    Rear Shock Rock Shox Monarch RT3
    Wheels DT Swiss M 1700 Spline 27,5", black
    Tyre front Schwalbe Hans Dampf Evo Snakeskin 27,5x2,35
    Tyre rear Schwalbe Nobby Nic Evo Snakeskin 27,5x2,35
    Rear derailleur Shimano Deore XT SGS Shadow Plus
    Front derailleur Shimano XT
    Shift levers Shimano XT
    Chain Shimano XT CN-HG95, standard, 116 L
    Crankset Shimano Deore XT 38/24, silver, 175mm
    Cassette Shimano XT, standard, 11-36
    Brakes SHIMANO XT 203mm/180mm, black
    Handlebar Race Face Atlas Low Riser 0,5" Rise , black, 31,8mm (out of stock, replaced with Race Face Respond, 1/2" Rise, 31.8Ø, 740mm black)
    Spacers Xtreme Carbon Spacer 1 1/8"x10 mm
    Saddle standard Rose (replaced with my reliable Fizik Gobi)
    Seat post Easton EA70 Zero, black, 31,6mm (replaced with my Reverb)
    Pedals Shimano PD-MX80
    Stem Race Face Turbine, black, 60mm
    Grips Rose Lock on, black
    Edit: Came to £2020 delivered, bargain in my eyes!

Enjoy it when it arrives, it really is an awesome bit of kit! ;)

PS, mine - https://www.dropbox.com/s/ey463535rydau ... .57.26.jpg
  • revmatt
    Broona,

great picture she looks amazing, glad you enjoyed your first ride!!

I have edited my OP with the spec in similar fashion to your list. Mine is very slightly different. I went with standard finishing kit to keep down the cost and give me something to buy in a few months. I also mixed XT and SLX to reduce cost further.You have the upgraded wheels to mine which was the one key difference between the 1 & 2. In the end I decided to go without and save the cash. Time will tell if its a good choice!!

I plan to try tubeless on the M1900S and eventually get some smoking wheels anyway, so the upgrade wasn't a priority for me. Something had to give to keep the cost down, as it is I went £50 over!

Keep updating the post with your ride details and sizing opinion - it'd be good for other folk to get a full picture of what they're getting into.

Have you heli-taped your pikes/frame etc?

Rev
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412

Yes, but I should have been able to stay with him. It's easier following someone than leading.

But they're still going to bugger off if they're faster than you. :lol:
  • rockmonkeysc
    I can ride faster when following someone down a hill. Using their braking points, lines and doubling up stuff I might not usually.
    On the climbs I couldn't keep up. The Granite Chief appeared to be very efficient pedalling, no real bob at all.
  • broona
    broona Posts: 414
    I've heli-taped anywhere I might get cable rub, and the entire top tube as I had a load of spare tape, lol!

The matt frame already has protection applied all the way along the bottom of the frame and the chainstays, whereas the anodised frame comes without, presumably it's a much harder finish than the paint.

I wanted full XT on mine so I wouldn't feel like I could have got something better, and to try and avoid upgrade-itis, I can't see anything on the bike that needs to be changed over the next 12 months, hopefully saves me money in the long run! ;)
  • nick-gti
    nick-gti Posts: 131
    Good read OP hopefully in the next few months I'm going to be in a position to buy a new bike and direct sales is something I have been considering. Thanks
  • revmatt
    Since ordering on Sunday/Monday I've had a few emails from Rose.

Firstly was the expected order confirmation and Rose loyalty card details.

Secondly, and more interestingly, was an email from the rep who I've been dealing with confirming my dream bike spec.

He had changed a few things (pending my permission) for instance gear ratios, offering me suggestions on how I might change it and benefit. (not a cost upgrade you understand, just friendly advice).

He also offered me fatter grips (big hands) and linked me to some youtube vids on suspension setup. He talked me through the invoice as it was

We had some back and forth, I asked a million silly questions to confirm in my mind I'd made the right choice and he was very patient and polite throughout.

So far, aftersales service seems very good.

I being quoted 5 weeks for delivery

More to follow!

Rev
  • revmatt
    UPDATE

Bike ordered 5 May 2014
    Bike built 5 June 2014
    Bike arrived 17 June 2014

It took a little longer than I'd have liked, but who's not impatient when waiting for a big exciting purchase!

Box was damaged on arrival (pics to follow). Took pictures etc with DHL present! Only damage to bike was a few scratches on the rear maxle lever. Bike was otherwise undamaged.

Emailed rose within 24 hours who instantly agreed to send me a new skewer and refund the cost of the vaunted bike box. No arguments at all from Rose.

Bike arrived with a documents wallet, not unlike the one you get with your car, including all instruction manuals for shocks, brakes, wheels etc inc a Rose manual, card and invoices etc.

Bike was put together in minutes, even for a total numpty like me it was an easy job.

I have ridden the bike half a dozen times since it arrived, at Thetford (flat and fast) Swinley (slightly less flat and fast) and chicksands on the DH tracks.

It is brilliant. It is built to a highstandard, though time will tell on that front - but first impressions are that the product matches the excellent customer service.

Size wise early indications are good. By way of refresher I am 6'2.5" (189cm) and went for L but had a long debate over L or XL. So far it fits me beautifully. It is marginally bigger I think thatn the orange 20" five which I hired at Cannock and felt was too cramped.

I'll need a few more marathon rides to confirm, but 3 hours at Swinley was without incident on both descent and ascent.

Pics and further info to follow.

Rev
  • revmatt
    UPDATE

Ok so I've had this bike for about two months now and have covered a decent number of miles.

A few niggles to report, nothing major. The seat clamp is pretty poor quality- it's a Rose own brand and at 90kg it won't tighten sufficiently and drops a few mm each hour which is infuriating but an under £5 fix.

The internally routed cables rattle against the inside of the frame over bumpy ground meaning the bike is less than silent on the move. Nothing I can think of to do about this but it's not a major issue.

The geometry is quite compact, I went for the shortest stem and despite having tried it for a month or two I think I'll have to go slightly longer (or a layback post) to give me a tiny bit more room. It gets a tiny bit cramped on long climbs is all.

And that's it so far - generally its a superb ride, at £1800 for full XT and pikes I'm having a blast. Despite the above comments, which I mention only for accuracy and transparency, I couldn't be happier. I've even got £45 to spend in the Rose store due to my 'clubcard' vouchers as a result of the purchase.
  • ej2320
    ej2320 Posts: 1,543
    Seems like a great bike, even better if you're on a budget
    Enduro bike mag seemed to like it too

It would also seem Rose are nice to deal with

Seat clamp is an easy fix there's some cheap stems on CRC so you can experiment with that
  • IDave
    IDave Posts: 223
    Nice thread. It's good to share the research and purchase process and you obviously put a lot of thought into it.

Do you have any pics? Also any plans to fit a dropper post, and can it take a stealth post?
  • revmatt
    Tackled the Ard Rock enduro with consumate ease recently, climbed as well as it descended.

Have just ordered a dropper post - reverb, so will let you know how I get on fitting. Frame comes mounted with routing points but external not stealth.

They've just released the full 2014 range so not sure how useful any of this info will be..!
  • rockmonkeysc
    The 2015 Rose bikes have a revised rear suspension design. They also have a fat bike so it's not all good in their range.
  • revmatt
    1907409_10152167483471813_1461773717186066666_n_zpsf8c82989.jpg

^ Ard rock enduro

Reverb installation was brilliant (NOT SHOWN IN PHOTO)

I've bought a right hander and mounted it underneath the left side bar.

The GC has 2 routing clamps preinstalled under the top tube which enables you to easily run the cable under the rear shock and to the bars.

Simple job, looks great. Testing week in NWales and of aug, reports to follow.