Swapping XT M772 cage length

alexthebear
alexthebear Posts: 349
edited May 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
I am currently running my XT M772 shadow long cage rear mech on a 2x9 setup. Not really been suffering any issues until I spannered it on something today and now the cage has bent in towards the wheel. I intend on straightening it but I was wondering if it's possible to swap the cage length to a medium or short given that I'm running a double and possibly moving on to a single ring at the front? If not I'll straighten it up and carry on as is until I can justify the spend on a new mech and pass this one onto my hack bike build (which means get my wedding out the way then buy a new mech :lol:)

Comments

• sanchez89
    sanchez89 Posts: 567
    i dont think you can swap cages matey, they are permanently attached on a pivot.

normally you can gently and gradually bend them back somewhere near straight, but shifting might not be too epic until a new straighter mech is fitted
    2011 KHS Full Susser Carbon 29er Race Build
    Clank wrote:
    M'eh, I might just go back to zapping it with frikken lay-zur beeeems. And sharks.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I don't think you can swap the cage. Just replace the whole thing with a medium cage xt mech.
    bike-discount.de and rosebikes.co.uk both have xt mechs pretty cheap.
  • RevellRider
    RevellRider Posts: 1,794
    You can replace the cages on M772 rear mechs. It'll cost you about £28, but for the amount of swearing you'll do I would just buy a new one
  • ken_i
    ken_i Posts: 17
    Agree with Revellrider, too much grief to try and take apart. I've just replaced inner cage (the easy side) only to find the mech is actually bent at the pivot -still shift great just looks rank!
  • alexthebear
    alexthebear Posts: 349
    It is so bent that it's about 2mm away from clipping the spokes and I did wonder if it would ever be the same if I tried to straighten it back. I'll whip it off in the morning and do the best I can to get it working in the interim but I get the feeling it'll end up in the spares box. Seems like the perfect opportunity to get shot of the white gear cable housing as well so not all bad :)