Splitting inner tube valves

ken_i
ken_i Posts: 17
edited August 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
HELP!!

Any one got any suggestions as to cause of repeated valves splitting from inner tubes? Had three wrecked tubes this morning (2 shrader and 1 presta) on the rear. I've checked the inside of the rim and there isn't any damage I can see or feel. Always seems to happen after the back wheel after going over a log or similar bumping over (not clattering over).

It's an XC717 rim and the tape also looks fine and the spokes don't look to be the cause -is it a new rim?

All suggestions welcome.

Comments

• jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    Is it happening at the base of the valve stem? if so, check the hole in the rim for sharp edges. Also, give the rim and rimstrip a good wash to remove dirt and dust that may allow the tube and tyre to slip relative to the rim.
  • ken_i
    Hi Jimmy, every valve is splitting one side (front or back of valve, not sure side). Have tried lightly sanding the hole with wet 'n dry without much joy, will have another go and give the whole wheel a good clean.
    Thanks
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    Bear in mind that the 717 has two walls of aluminium - an internal one and an external one, so there's effectively 4 "edges" to check (two of which you can't see). Might be worth trying a small round file or something, which you can angle more easily than paper.

Alternatively, the rims originally came with little plastic inserts to reduce the size of the holes if you were going to use them with presta valves - if you've still got them, then using presta valve tubes and these inserts might go some way to protecting the valve at the outer hole, at least.
  • ken_i
    Still got the inserts (somewhere) will give a try tomorrow before resorting to trying LBS. Same thing has happened with the inserts too :(
    Don't want to go new rim route but may be the answer.
  • sam_anon
    sam_anon Posts: 153
    Hi, thought I'd jump on the back of this thread.

I'm also getting the tyre seemingly rotating around the rim and pulling the valve over at an angle which ultimately splits the tube. I'll try cleaning inside of rim and outside of tyre to try and stop it but any advice would be welcome!

Tyres are probably 9 years old, but still a tight fit over the rim.
  • bomber2
    bomber2 Posts: 8
    Had this problem recently. Combination of under inflated tube and lots of dust causing tube to move around inside tyre. Good wash and properly inflated= job done
  • mattyfez
    mattyfez Posts: 638
    Some talcum powder lightly dusted on tube an inside the tyre may help 'lubricate' the tube a bit if the tube is sticking to the inside of the tyre in places and being streched in others.
    Also try a tube that has a retainer collar to hold the valve straight, continental tubes have them, not sure which others.