broken headset nightmare

markybhoy71
markybhoy71 Posts: 20
edited May 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
anybody got advice on this issue,what it is a got second hand mountain bike and needing to lift handle bar height but cant get the headset off the bike,the bolt that goes through the center of it and into the headset just keeps turning as if something is broken,i need this off so I can put on the extension to lift the height,has anybody got ideas what to do or is it knackered.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    What headset?

Have you loosened the stem bolts?

And what extension?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    Take a picture so we know what you're talking about, saves a lot of time.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    anybody got advice on this issue,what it is a got second hand mountain bike and needing to lift handle bar height but cant get the headset off the bike,the bolt that goes through the center of it and into the headset just keeps turning as if something is broken,i need this off so I can put on the extension to lift the height,has anybody got ideas what to do or is it knackered.
    Quill type stem and threaded headset?

Read the info on park tools.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • markybhoy71
    iv tried to a pic up but no sure how to do it ill try to describe it for yous,its a kobe theres 2 allen bolts that tighten on to a post that comes out of frame which has 2 spacers and an allen bolt that goes through the top of the headset part and into the frame,this is the bolt that keeps turning,and wont realese the headset from the post hope this help,thasnks.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Do you have undo the top cap bolt. Remove top cap. Slacken stem bolts. Remove stem. Remove centering wedge. Fork falls out. As covered here viewtopic.php?f=40073&t=12689155

If you have stripped the threads on the top cap bolt apply some upward force on the top cap so you force some threads into the star nut.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • cooldad
    Once you manage that, how are you planning on extending it?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • markybhoy71
    That's it nick it's that top bolt that keeps turning,I'll try what you say and hope it works,it was a guy in halfords says I can buy an extension to fit here to raise the height of the handle bars of buy an anjustable headset to give me more height,cheers lads for help :D
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Bad idea on MTBs they are.
  • cooldad
    Bad idea on MTBs they are.
    This.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Riser bars, high angle stem (shorter as well) or a combination of the two, not something that will tray and kill you!

That or learn the right riding position!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    cyd190468 wrote:
    Had similar problem on my Spark. In my case the starnut has a brass threaded insert in the centre which decided it would rotate within the starnut instead of the bolt undoing.

Had this once too on a bike where the preload bolt hadn't been greased and had seized in the starnut. Ended up drifting the starnut out of the steerer from below!
  • markybhoy71
    well lads iv tried everything and still no joy last resort would be cut it off with the grinder and replace with new,but the hassle and cost is no worth it for I paid for the bike,the big is for the girlfriend any so she can either use it the way it is or sell it on for something else,cheers for the help.
  • Clockworkmark31
    Clockworkmark31 Posts: 1,053
    Maybe I have not read this correct. But, maybe you can get some long nose pliers or a pole with a suitable grove cut in to it to hold the star nut as you undo the top cap, or maybe just drill the top cap bolt and hammer the star nut out? I am sure either solution should work?
  • Clockworkmark31
    Clockworkmark31 Posts: 1,053
    Or a piece of wood dowel or similar so you can place pressure on the bottom of the bolt and force it to start unscrewing? Obviously it would have to be a smaller size the the steerer tube.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Have you loosened the stem clamp bolts and pulled up as you undid the top bolt?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,485
    As a noob reading this I am struck by the following:-
    - Headset is a term used incorrectly - my understanding of the headset is that it is the crown / races at the top and the bottom of the steerer tube on the frame. So this problem is nothing to do with the headset.
    - Having (as a noob) removed one set of forks once from one bike (so limited experience!), I had difficulty in understanding how it all fitted together, and I expected that the nut / cap at the top was the fundamental force holding it all together. Its not. My basic understanding is that that is just to pull the fork upwards, and press the stem / spacers downwards so that the bearings at the top and bottom of the headset are nicely in contact and there is no play.
    - So, in true Haynes fashion, removal is the opposite of installation - therefore making sure that the spacers and the stem are loosened is an important step. Its not clear from the OPs postings whether he has done this or not, so I'm only posting this in case he hasn't. If he has, surely applying some upwards force on the stem whilst trying to remove the top cap / star fangled bolt would also possibly help things to "grip" such that the top cap can be removed?

Take my suggestions with a pinch of salt, given my relative inexperience, but perhaps as a noob to a noob this might help point things in the right direction?

Cheers!

Matt
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)