Android App to see screen in sunshine?

berliner
berliner Posts: 340
edited May 2014 in The cake stop
Anyone know of a way it can be done. Maybe to look like one of those Kindle screens. Thanks

Comments

• nathancom
    nathancom Posts: 1,567
    Just increase the brightness
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    Move further north? :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    berliner wrote:
    Anyone know of a way it can be done. Maybe to look like one of those Kindle screens. Thanks

Never going to get a backlit LCD screen to look like a E-Ink Kindle screen as they are very different technologies, with the E-Ink screens consisting of tiny magnetic balls painted white on one side and black on the other (which get flipped so that one side or the other faces the screen). So, just like ink and paper, they don't wash out in sunshine. Just the opposite.

An LCD, by it's very nature lets light through it so will wash out under a bright light no matter what. As mentioned above, the best thing you can do is to try and adjust the brightness/contrast levels on your device.

On a side note.... wouldn't it be great if someone created a simple bike computer that used a E-Ink display? Not only would it be more energy efficient as it doesn't need electricity to display an image but would be way more readable to boot.
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    Ouija wrote:
    berliner wrote:
    On a side note.... wouldn't it be great if someone created a simple bike computer that used a E-Ink display? Not only would it be more energy efficient as it doesn't need electricity to display an image but would be way more readable to boot.

That would be cool. I guess refresh rate would be the main issue, but e-ink is getting better all the time so it should be feasible.
  • berliner
    berliner Posts: 340
    Thanks for that. Just tried using it to navigate yesterday- impossible to read.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Tried taking a couple of outdoor photos with the ipad earlier. It's like looking in a mirror - great if I want to see how my hair's looking but any framing & composition is pure guesswork.