What Canyon 29"er for trails?

utherdoul
utherdoul Posts: 24
edited May 2014 in MTB buying advice
I love my Canyon road bike, and am thinking of getting a Canyon MTB, but not sure what model to go for? I want to get a 29", but can't decide between a Spectral / Nerve or Grand Canyon? I currently have a 26" Boardman, but am getting tired of rattling along the trails! Anyone got any thoughts?
I mainly ride trails (Cannock / Penmancho / Marin etc). I am strong on hills (6ft 2in, 70kg lightweight), but not massively confident on the downhills, so don't mind the extra weight of the FS (and hopefully this will give me the boost I need), unless someone thinks a HT would be a better option? Or maybe the Nerve 27.5"...
I know the Nerve was the WMTB winner a few years ago, so maybe the best option?

Comments

• atomic fox
    atomic fox Posts: 95
    i m in similar situation. have a boardman and love it but feel the 29ers are luring me in lol, went to demo recently and tried 29 and 27,5 and am impressed at the way 29ers cover the ground. i have had a go on a canyon hardtail 29 and nerve 27.5 also and these bikes are awesome vfm and you won t be disappointed with either.
  • theMagician
    theMagician Posts: 83
    Where did you manage to test ride the canyons?
  • atomic fox
    atomic fox Posts: 95
    the canyon s were n t at a demo.i know some one that has both bikes.
  • Sackface
    Sackface Posts: 23
    I went for the Nerve al 7.9 which is the 29er version as most of my weekend rides consist of cross country with average of 30miles, along bridalways and byways, having the bigger wheels and full sus just make it a joy over the terrain, but still great to blast round the local trials in the woods and even hit a few downhill runs.

Plan on doing the London to Brighton off road again this year as hoping to improve on my time which I did last year on my old 26" kona hardtail, I'm feeling the canyon will be perfect for this.
    Canyon Nerve Al 7.9
  • rgasuk
    rgasuk Posts: 89
    Been looking at canyon 29ers and can't make up my mind . Wonder if there be bringing any other versions out at the end of the year
    Road - Scott solace .
    Training - giant xtc 1
    Mtb - Yt Capra pro
    Past - Scott spark , caadx ultegra , canyon ultimate cf slx ,trek madone , ridley x-fire , giant Defy, giant trance
  • Xommul
    Xommul Posts: 251
    I have the spectral AL 7.9 29er and it climbs and descends really well. Feels solid and smooth with the full XT set up. I have no issues with the Avid Trail 7's brakes.

Im taking it to Wales tomorrow for three days. Give you a full eval upon return.

Im 6'7" and weight 98kg so not such a weight weenie.
    MTB Trek 4300 Disc 1999
    Road Rose Carbon Pro RS Custom
    Canyon Spectral AL 7.9 29er