Issue after greasing chain

aaronspeight
aaronspeight Posts: 31
edited May 2014 in Workshop
Hi guys and gals,

I wonder if you can help, I decided i needed to clean up my chain and re-grease it as it started to feel a bit ropey. After cleaning it up and re-greasing i think i may have done something wrong...

Now when i start pedalling i feels like its 'slipping' after one pedal stroke, it feels very easy to turn it then it gets very stiff and then goes fine again.

I hope I've explained the problem well, but does anyone know how to fix this?? I've since realised that I am not good at trying to maintain a bike..

Thanks in advance
A

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    How exactly did you clean it? And what do you mean by 'regreasing' - as using grease on a chain is unusual at best. Having said that, a roller chain is a fairly basic piece of kit, so if it is slipping then it may just be worn, or some of the other drive components are worn - or both.
  • water, degreaser and a brush. I say grease... it was chain lube from my local bike store which is supposed to be used on chains and i put it on every link like it said...

As you can see im quite the novice so im looking for your guys advice
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    You've probably just got a stiff link - turn the pedals slowly and watch for the chain jumping as it turns a corner - then wiggle it back and forward to loosen that link - a drop of lube on that roller wouldn't hurt either.
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • andy9964
    andy9964 Posts: 930
    How much use have you had out of the chain?

I had a similar problem (intermittent jumping/slipping) after scrubbing the chain with a degreaser, and getting a ton of muck off it.
    It had done about 1600-1800 miles, so I decided to get a new chain.
    Slipping went away
  • wishitwasallflat
    wishitwasallflat Posts: 2,927
    +1 I had a chain that ran fine till I cleaned it - it had done over 2k miles so was well over due anyway.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    do people really not clean their chains for 2000 miles?!
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • wishitwasallflat
    wishitwasallflat Posts: 2,927
    Chris Bass wrote:

I did .. once ... with the first chain I had on my first bike ...
    then I learned the error of my ways and got a chain cleaner and degreaser ...
    then I learned the error of my ways again and got a rag and some WD40 ...

wonder what I'll learn next ... :shock:
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    Chris Bass wrote:

I did .. once ... with the first chain I had on my first bike ...
    then I learned the error of my ways and got a chain cleaner and degreaser ...
    then I learned the error of my ways again and got a rag and some WD40 ...

wonder what I'll learn next ... :shock:

baby wipes clean everything!!
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes