Budget but good Hydraulic brakes?

JMR120600
JMR120600 Posts: 23
edited May 2014 in MTB buying advice
So, im looking to get my bike sorted out, as the parts it has on it are pretty bad, besides from the forks which were new last year.

I was looking at some Shimano Deore brakes. they have good reviews, a lot better than the Avid Elixir 3's that i was looking at.

Heres a link to them on amazon. http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00I ... d_i=468294

If you guys could give me any ideas, it would be appreciated. i only have a max of £120 to spend on brakes, as i need new wheels as well.

Any help appreciated

Comments

• Boromedic
    Boromedic Posts: 96
    edited May 2014
    viewtopic.php?f=20005&t=12967690

Check this thread out for info should help you hopefully, I've got Elixir 1's which too be fair other than being noisy when wet are pretty good although not everyone thinks so and some have had real issues with them. That said if I had a choice and was changing them out I'd go for SLX :-)
    "I should live in salt for leaving you, behind"

Ghost HTX Actinum 29er
  • JMR120600
    I might go with the SLX, depending on what money i have to spend on brakes once i get my wheel (getting custom built merlin cycles wheels)
  • JMR120600
    Also, one other thing.. would i be better to go with a centerlock or a 6 screw hub
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    SLX can be had within your budget, especially if you already have discs and mounting hardware, Deore are also very good though. I'd go 6 bolt, more options for hubs and discs.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Deore will be fine and worth getting SLX if you can. You may want to get new rotors as well to be sure. Old rotors can get bent , damaged or contaminated.

I had elixir 1's which were fine and swapped them out for XT's with new rotors. Much better feel and braking.
  • JMR120600
    I dont already have the disc hardware, i bought new post mount forks last year, and i am getting an A2Z adapter for the rear of my bike
  • JMR120600
    This is the amazon basket so far. I need the shifters as i have them stupid all in one shifter/brake lever things that shimano make, and i hate them.

7c404837650168015e56e058fda37041.png

So far i have gone about £15 over budget, but that doesnt really matter too much...

total price for custom wheels plus the amazon basket is £275.58
    i will buy rotors from my LBS
  • bartsanti
    bartsanti Posts: 23
    What bike have you? 21 speed with rear v brakes, might be better served with a whole new bike
  • JMR120600
    The bike is a scorpion shock, it is a hard tail, and a sturdy frame. i would like to keep with the same bike though as i dont really do much very hard stuff. so wouldnt really benefit from a new bike, but would benefit from new parts
  • JMR120600
    this bike http://images.evanscycles.com/product_i ... p-bike.jpg but with upgraded forks
  • bartsanti
    bartsanti Posts: 23
    The deore brakes can be had for £70 at chain reaction
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Still a lot of money to spend on a £127 jump bike.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • JMR120600
    when i do get a new bike though, i will be using the parts that i buy now aswell, and im thinking of buying a new frame next year though.
  • Ditch the shifter and go single ring