Chainrings FFS

poah
poah Posts: 3,369
edited May 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
should be no issue to find 38T rings with a BCD of 104 - you'll probably have to change the bolts though

Comments

• stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    cyd190468 wrote:
    ps Remember whenthere were pretty much only road rings and MTB rings? Ah the good old days.

Yes the good old days when there were only 3 or 4 or 5 arm rings or those fancy US made CNCed cranks that had there own unique BMX style system then there was about 10 different BCD standards then there was the choice of round or oval rings and then you had to file down the chainring bolts because every manufacturer made the rings a different thickness and then there was the different chainlines and on and on and on.

The last time you could go into a shop and order a universal fit chainring was about 1886 when the Rover Safety Bicycle was king of the bumpy road.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    stubs wrote:
    Yes the good old days when there were only 3 or 4 or 5 arm rings or those fancy US made CNCed cranks that had there own unique BMX style system then there was about 10 different BCD standards then there was the choice of round or oval rings and then you had to file down the chainring bolts because every manufacturer made the rings a different thickness and then there was the different chainlines and on and on and on.

The last time you could go into a shop and order a universal fit chainring was about 1886 when the Rover Safety Bicycle was king of the bumpy road.

That's how I remember it - there are fewer standards now than there have been for years. Didn't TA make one where the big ring bolted to the crank, and the smaller ring(s) bolted to the big ring? Or did I imagine that?
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • stubs
    Dont remember them but there were some real oddball systems. I might be having an acid flashback but I vaguely remember some cranks that had the rings mounted on rubber washers
    :shock:
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • rickbst170
    rickbst170 Posts: 228
    I stuck a renthal Sr4 on mine. Double thick so ok there, no pickups though so not ideal. Works for me though (not race worthy I don't think as is a little slow to shift, but plenty good enough for everyday use).

104bcd is same as shimano so shimano double rings would work if using shorter bolts, or blackspire rings I think.
  • stubs
    Nope there never has been a time when there was only one flavour of ring it has always been a smorgasbord of chainring sizes and standards. Going into a bike shop any time in the last 15 years and asking for a SRAM 36T chainring would get you a selection of about 6 different rings or a punch in the mouth from the shop assistant who has had it up to here with f***nuts who think there is only a MTB or a Road size.