Replacing Chainrings with BBG Bashguards

bert2578m
bert2578m Posts: 4
edited May 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi, I have a 2013 Specialized Hardrock Disc 26". I have decided to replace my small and large chainrings with a set of BBG bashguards for a 1x8 setup. I have screws like these holding my chainrings together (The photo is not my property): https://www.flickr.com/photos/dno1967b/ ... otostream/ . They are very shallow (hard to insert an allen key) and and do not have the usual pit on the other side of the chainrings to insert a chainring-bolt-tool. Can I get some advice on what I can use to take them off so I could install Bashguards? Could it even be possible that they are actually rivets? All help is greatly appreciated, thank you :)

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Yep. Not happening.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • bert2578m
    Nothing I could do?
  • cooldad
    New crankset.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • bert2578m
    I am considering drilling through the rivets to replace them with chainring bolts and install a pair of BBG Bashguards.
  • cooldad
    Not something I would do, but make sure the BCD is the same, and the number of bolts - most bash rings will be 4 bolt, your cranks are 5 rivets.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    Even if you did drill out the rivets, the spacing is likely to be all wrong - those cheap rivetted chainsets aren't put together in the same way as replacable-ring ones, and if you bolted bashrings to them there's no guarantee your chain would even fit back on.
  • cooldad
    I didn't want to sound too negative, but...
    cooldad wrote:
    New crankset.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Just ride it until they are mashed, then fit a new crankset, although used square taper cranksets are cheap as chips compared to the cost of 2 BBG rings (bash and inner guide ring) and a single specific ring, so if you are buying those bits anyway (cost circa £50-60) another fiver to get a crankset is small change.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.