Should this tyre be replaced?

Burt25
Burt25 Posts: 117
edited May 2014 in Road general
Just noticed today that both of my Mavic tyres have developed splits between the side wall and tread. See image.
These have only been on the bike one season- are they dangerous?

Tyre_zps7eff9fdc.jpg

Comments

• lawrences
    lawrences Posts: 1,011
    Where?
  • Burt25
    lawrences wrote:
    Where?

You can see a sound portion of tyre in middle of picture and 'split' sections left and right. The split is right where the side wall joins the tread of the tyre and goes through the rubber layer to the woven material below.
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,066
    > are they dangerous

probably not

Would I ride on them? Probably not. Can you take them back to the bike shop? Tires sometimes crack like that when left underinflated but some tires just seem to do it.
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • Burt25
    davidof wrote:
    > are they dangerous

probably not

Would I ride on them? Probably not. Can you take them back to the bike shop? Tires sometimes crack like that when left underinflated but some tires just seem to do it.

Tyres have been kept inflated, so that's not the cause- front and rear are same, so could it be 'normal'? I bought the bike online, so can't take it back to them, but may take the wheel into my local shop for an opinion.
  • littledove44
    littledove44 Posts: 871
    Bin. Life's too short to take risks.

How comfy would you feel taking a corner at 60kph on those?

I have a nice set of 23mm gp4000's you can have for nothing if you send me a postage paid envelope.

I have a set of Mavic 23's if you prefer.
  • Burt25

I have a nice set of 23mm gp4000's you can have for nothing if you send me a postage paid envelope.

I will take you up on the offer of those gp4000s- thanks! - will send you a PM
  • littledove44
    Burt25 wrote:

I will take you up on the offer of those gp4000s- thanks! - will send you a PM

For some reason I cannot access the pm you sent me.

Easiest thing to do would be to send me a fiver on paypal. That will give me your address.

The email for payment is ku.oc.ylimafsraehs@laiter (I have spelt it backwads for antispam).
  • Burt25
    littledove - can I just check - should the first part of your email be retail or retial? Thnx
  • littledove44
    Burt25 wrote:
    littledove - can I just check - should the first part of your email be retail or retial? Thnx
    The first one.
  • littledove44
    Burt25 wrote:
    The first one.
    And it should be backwards, not backwads either.

Sometimes I hate my iPad!
  • Burt25
    Burt25 wrote:
    The first one.

Sent - thank you!
  • Druidor
    Druidor Posts: 230
    Personally any damage to a road tyre could be dangerous especially if you do a lot of downhill work.

120psi plus pushing on the outer wall any splits and the inners coming out.. wouldnt want that happening going down a hill.
    ---
    Sensa Trentino SL Custom 2013 - 105 Compact - Aksium Race