Grease coming out of speedplays

richiegwy
richiegwy Posts: 171
edited May 2014 in Workshop
I have noticed the grease is leaking out of one of my speedplay zero pedals on the spindle side. Does anyone know what is causing this or what is up?
There is also a squeak coming out of that side when pedalling but I am not sure is it the pedal or my shoe (carbon sole took a knock recently after a fall and has some hairline cracks on the sole)

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,181
    are they new or have you regreased then lately?

excess grease will squish out of the seal (a simple o ring), then they'll go a long time until needing more pumped in, so you pump some in, after which the excess will squish out again, etc.

if the pedal turns easily/smoothly with finger power it's probably ok

have you greased the cleats? they need a bit every so often, also check all the screws are tight (including the ones on the three-hole adaptor if you're using that)

if it's the shoe squeaking you may be able to hear it by walking upstairs in them
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • richiegwy
    Noticed bad grease coming out a week or so ago and regressed them yesterday so hopefully thats all it is. Pedal turns freely. Cant figure out the squeak but its bloody annoying
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    If the pedal spins when you flick it, the bearings are too dry. It shouldn't spin more than a fraction of a turn when properly greased.

My cleats are a bit squeaky because I'm terrible at remembering to lube them. When I do, I normally use a dry lube like Finish Line Dry.
  • richiegwy
    Yea my pedals turn smoothly when I twist them but barely move if I flick them so I think they are fine.

I havent lubed the cleats ever. Where do you put it? On the spring clip edges?
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    I dribble some around the whole spring clip. It moves inside the cleat, so getting lube on the surfaces that move against each other quietens any noises. A little on the edges is no bad thing too.
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    richiegwy wrote:
    I havent lubed the cleats ever. Where do you put it? On the spring clip edges?
    In addition to what MajorMantra mentioned I completely cover the pedal (lollipop) and the axle where it contacts the cleat with some sort of dry lube. I find that any of the wax type chain lubes works well. Usually anywhere from 1-4 rides and you'll need to relube the cleats and pedal surface. Your cleats and pedals will work better and last much longer if you lube them.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,181
    +1 finish line dry lube is good for the cleats

if you hold the shoe sideways with the open side of the cleat facing upwards, you can drip lube into the recesses where the spring sets, then tap it on the ground and the lube will run through to the gap where the adjustment screws are
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny