advice on a first road bike

donalmagennis
donalmagennis Posts: 4
edited May 2014 in Road beginners
Hi,

Looking to get my first road bike, struggling to take in all the info. Dont want to spend big, about £300 Max as if i stuck at it i will avail of ride to work scheme when I can in Nov/dec. I am keen to get out asap. I'm looking between the Triban white in decathalon for 300 and this one in a LBS http://www.mcgarveycycles.com/SPIDER%20SALEBIKE%20FEATURE.jpg How do the two compare?

Thanks for any advice..

Comments

• Stick with the one from decathlon, a lot of people have them as first bikes and they make great winter bikes when you upgrade :)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Most people have the red T3 with a carbon fork and Shimano don't they?
    I thought the white one was originally a cheaper £250 version that now seems to be £300.

Have never seen a red, but the white one is heavier than I imagined the red would be. Only road bike I have felt that is that heavy is a Halfords TDF.

I would get a red one as a stop gap to cycleshceme bike if you can, but avoid the white.
    Red one will be more saleable I think.

Not sure its worth keeping as a winter bike. If you upgrade slightly it will be to a bike you may as well use all year, and if you upgrade massively you will not want to use the T3.
    Better off selling and putting money towards next bike.

Aim higher for first bike (Felt on wiggle? Pinnacle, Fuji or Norco in Evans?) if you have any 'winter bike' plans :wink:
  • Colinthecop
    Colinthecop Posts: 996
    With £300 i'd be looking to buy second hand as opposed to new.

Choice will be more confusing but you'll get more for your cash.

maxresdefault.jpg
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Used ones are often a better ride and any 'teething' problems have hopefully been addressed 8)
  • Hi Donal
    Dont know whether you're interested but I have a triban3 red for sale 57 frame.
    Looking for £200
    Cheers pete