Bent derailleur

ashyk36
ashyk36 Posts: 9
edited May 2014 in MTB general
Hi. I bought a second hand bike a month ago and the derailleur bracket was snapped off. I have been to the local bike shop and got a new bracket.

This morning I finally got around to fitting it, problem is that the derailleur cage is now touching the spokes on the rear Tyre. I have never fitted a rear derailleur before however I did lots of research beforehand so I'm sure I have fitted it correctly.

If I post a picture below, would someone be able to tell me where the problem is.

Thank you in advance.

IMAG2831_zps519a7d6d.jpg

This is the back of the derailleur hanger which I have just installed.

IMAG2834_zpsd4f55d3e.jpg

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    The mech is bent too, and maybe the frame - your LBS will have an alignment tool to adjust as necessary.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Looks like the mech is fubared.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • mudsucker
    mudsucker Posts: 730
    Yeah look like new mech time. The few time I have bent a gear hanger the mech was always screwed too :-(
    Bikes are OK, I guess... :-)

2008 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp.
    2013 Trek 1.2
    1982 Holdsworth Elan.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Hanger looks straight, mech cage looks straight, mech looks fubarred, new mech!

Carrera?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Exactly you have described in the topic title, you have a bent mech. Time for a new one.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • brunlea
    brunlea Posts: 33
    Mech looks like its a gonner. Happened to me too, so i feel your pain.