15mm hub issue

aradoman
aradoman Posts: 66
edited May 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi

having finally got the parts to build up the bike, ive noticed when the suntour qloc axle is fitted there is left/right play with the front hub on the axle.

this seems to be due to the fact the 'spacers' (or dust/end caps cant seem to find definitive answer to their name!) Are different. One is what I assume is correct and one looks like the kind you find on 9mm hubs (but is obviously 15mm)

What is the solution here? I dont want to have to buy new hub etc but cant find anywhere that sells general hub end caps?

Picture says a 1000 words....

20140504_112053.jpg

Comments

• benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Endcaps are often different as they fill different holes... but they dont look off the same hub. Stick them back in and measure the total width.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • aradoman
    Hi

width is aboit 96/97mm with them on hub, also the total diameter of one end cap is 30mm
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    aradoman wrote:
    Hi

width is aboit 96/97mm with them on hub, also the total diameter of one end cap is 30mm
    bearing condition?
    OLD should be 100mm

Being different is normal for the end caps. Very very few have the same each side.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • aradoman
    Bearings seem ok (from what I can tell) also the 'smaller end cap doesn't have the same diameter overall and is a bit loose in it's housing

could I just space these out with washers? Or should I just be looking for a new hub/wheel :(

The only other thing to note is smaller cap is 1mm less diameter and is looser in it housing, and is wider at the dropout end meaning it doesnt fit plush like the other side
  • nicklouse
    What is the hub?

Pics?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • aradoman
    20140504_112036.jpg no idea its unbranded
  • benpinnick
    Im still going with the right hand adaptor (as in the pic) being wrong for your hub.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • nicklouse
    aradoman wrote:
    20140504_112036.jpg no idea its unbranded
    Nice disc.
    And the other side?

And which spacer do you think goes on each side?
  • aradoman
    Sorry that was the only pic I had lol, at work at the mo will post other side tomorrow

short one went on non disc side
  • aradoman
    20140505_071241.jpg

that be the other side!

Is there anything stopping me finding some 15mm hardware type washers to space it out? Whats the general hub width?
  • benpinnick
    100m is the size you are aiming for.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • aradoman
    Ok thanks guys, ive found a spacer that is right internal diameter ill see what becomes of it.

wishing I hadnt have bothered trying to build a bike up now, all the extra costs and aggro! To add to it I think ill need a new cassette and chain as after setting up gears i went for a ride and spent some time mowing the grass with my face as the chain is slipping when i put a lot of force into pedalling :(