Calling all HOPE Hub Owners: Question Time!

iLukeKendall
iLukeKendall Posts: 160
edited May 2014 in MTB buying advice
So my bike is currently in the workshop having a groupset upgrade, and in the meantime I have nothing better to do than look into further upgrades for my ride! I'm very close to pulling the trigger on a set of Hope Hoops from Wiggle (as soon as they have them back in stock), with Hope Pro II Evo hubs on Stans Arch EX rims. I do have a few questions though that I hope (no pun intended!) you guys can help with!

1. Are they as noisy as they sound in YouTube clips?
So I've been watching quite a few YouTube videos, and the noise seems to be quite unbearably loud in some. Are these videos accurate to how they sound in real life use, as a lot of the time the videos are of the wheels spinning freely (ie. maximum speed with no resistance from the ground) and recorded from right beside the wheel. Do they sound like that when riding and above the hub in the saddle?!

2. How water-tight are they?
One of the main reasons I'm upgrading my wheelset is because I've gone through 3 freehub bodies in about 4 months. The freehubs have ended up with rusted or broken pawls, washed free from grease, and the cheapy Shimano freehub bodies aren't serviceable meaning a new freehub each time. Are the Hope hubs pretty good at keeping the wet stuff out and keeping them running for longer? I know they're serviceable so pawls can be replaced if necessary which is a good thing.

3. Are they suitable for XC?
Would they be fine for XC use? I've always pictured them as being aimed more at DH or AM riders.

4. Is it worth upgrading to a steel freehub?
I've read a lot online about the aluminium freehub body being gouged out by cassettes. Would upgrading to a steel freehub body prevent this problem completely? I'd be using an SLX cassette.

5. Straight Pull vs. Normal?
Wiggle offer both options, with the SP being more expensive. Does it offer any advantages over the normal version?

Thanks a lot for any advice you can offer me!
Whyte 29-CS • Canyon Ultimate • #CCWMTB • Strava Profile

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    1 yes
    2 not very just like most hubs.
    3 yes
    4 it depends on your cassette. Add weight but stops individual steel cogs cutting into the bady.
    5 look at how easy it is to get spare spokes.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • ej2320
    ej2320 Posts: 1,543
    I have hope hubs and this is my take

1. Yes, they are loud. But you can pack the freehub with grease and it will quieten them to an extent
    2. I doubt they are completely water tight, however everything has seals and fits snug so it's probably more water resistant than some other hubs
    3. Yes, hence the fact they sell them prebuilt on Stans Crest rims (An XC focused rim)
    4. The cassette may dig some holes in the freehub body.. But is the really an issue? It's not going to destroy the freehub and you could always just buy a new freehub body
    5. I'd just get normal (J pull), the theory is the straight pull can be easily replaced on the trail.. But would you really be able to replace it on the trail anyway? And they're more expensive and harder to get spares for

Overall the hubs are good, engagement can be a problem if you like a quick pick up
    But they are reliable
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    1 Yep, as said add grease if you dont like it.
    2 Better than average
    3 Yes
    4 No. Buy and XT cassette.
    5 SP adds nothing other than weight and cost. Save the money and buy jbend... then get a new cassette :)
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Don't add grease as it can cause the freehub to fail.

Just a very thin smear of grease or use a light oil.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • coulddobetter
    coulddobetter Posts: 812
    My main concern was the noise. Coming from a silent hub I thought it would be annoying , , however I found it's not the case at all.
  • ej2320
    Yeah, the noise isn't as bad once you're riding.. You don't notice it as much
  • Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    They're a great alternative to having a dorky bell on your handlebars. Just freewheel to let everybody in the vicinity know your coming ;)
  • miceden
    miceden Posts: 225
    1. Yes, but they get quieter over time
    2. Not bad... They are really really easy to service, you can rebuild one in as little as 10min.
    3. Yes, it's a versatile hub
    4. No providing the cassette carrier is also alu, yes if the carrier is steel.
    5. Straight
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    miceden wrote:
    5. Straight
    Why?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • iLukeKendall
    Thanks for all the answers guys.

The main thing that is putting me off is the sound - I have no way of trying any out before I order them, so I don't want to buy them, hate the sound and then have to sell them and lose money! I currently have Formula/Shimano hubs which clicked for a bit when new, but are now completely silent, so it's a big change!

As for the cassette issue, I've literally just bought a brand new SLX cassette, so I don't really want to have to buy another XT one. I'd rather spend out for a steel freehub body that will last longer than have to keep buying replacements as well as cassettes!
  • ej2320
    I have an SLX cassette on mine
    It's fine
  • ricardo_smooth
    ricardo_smooth Posts: 1,281
    The new 40t engagement is a bit quieter. SP VS Normal, not a noticeable difference (had both)
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    As above, the newer 40poe hubs are about half the volume of the old ones. I can't honestly say I find the noise a problem though. You just tune it out after a while and it's good for letting people know you're there.
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    One of the main reasons I'm upgrading my wheelset is because I've gone through 3 freehub bodies in about 4 months. ..I know they're serviceable so pawls can be replaced if necessary which is a good thing.

The actual bearings do seem to be very well protected and sealed, though the same can't be said for the freehub/hub interface itself. However, the best thing about them is how easy they are to service - you don't even need any tools to remove the freehub body, so giving the guts a quick clean and regrease is very easy.
  • Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    1. Hellishly noisy :mrgreen:
    2. I have never had any problems. I have one on my commuter which gets ridden in the sun, rain (read downpour), snow and hail.
    3. Perfectly fine
    4. Hell yes; they alloy ones as nice as they are as soft as microwaved butter. XT/XTR cassettes still eat them for breakfast.
    5. Straight pull all the way. They are a doddle to replace and look way cooler :mrgreen:

For reference, the serviceability of the Hope Pro 2 hub is great. You can strip them right down in a few minutes; replace bearings, change axle styles etc.

For me, Hope Pro 2 is a great hub.
  • I've had my hope hoops on stans arch ex about a week now

They are insanely noisy

Weight is aprox 1800g bare for a set front and rear (Sapim spokes brass nips)

I went with J bend spokes just because it was more likely that a shop would keep them in stock if something happens on a trail centre etc saying that hope provide spare spokes with their wheel builds so if you take them in the car to the centre there is no issue, not sure if it is true but I heard that SP provided a stiffer wheel and I for one was happy with a wheel with a rad more flex.

Not sure if you have chose a rim but obviously this needs to be considered in depth to ensure the correct weight vs strength for your weight and riding is provided.

I can take a video for you of the noise but it is like the youtube ones or like 1000 angry bee's in a tin.
  • iLukeKendall
    Thanks for the advice.
    I've had my hope hoops on stans arch ex about a week now

They are insanely noisy

I went with J bend spokes just because it was more likely that a shop would keep them in stock if something happens on a trail centre etc saying that hope provide spare spokes with their wheel builds so if you take them in the car to the centre there is no issue, not sure if it is true but I heard that SP provided a stiffer wheel and I for one was happy with a wheel with a rad more flex.

Not sure if you have chose a rim but obviously this needs to be considered in depth to ensure the correct weight vs strength for your weight and riding is provided.

I can take a video for you of the noise but it is like the youtube ones or like 1000 angry bee's in a tin.

These are the same spec I'd be going for - I'm about 10-11 stone, riding a hardtail for mostly XC, trail and some rock gardens, so from what I read the Arch EX's should be suitable enough?

How do you find them? Better than the stock set that came with your bike?

The only thing that concerns me now is the noise - I'm hoping the shop that's currently sorting out my drive-train will have a bike with them on so I can try them out!
  • Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    Go for Mavic EX721s
  • Thanks for the advice.
    I've had my hope hoops on stans arch ex about a week now

They are insanely noisy

These are the same spec I'd be going for - I'm about 10-11 stone, riding a hardtail for mostly XC, trail and some rock gardens, so from what I read the Arch EX's should be suitable enough?

How do you find them? Better than the stock set that came with your bike?

The only thing that concerns me now is the noise - I'm hoping the shop that's currently sorting out my drive-train will have a bike with them on so I can try them out!

Yes arch ex sound about right although some would say crests but not worth the risk vs weight IMO take a look at my thread there are some pics in there.

I would be careful with testing them in the shop as until the cassette is bolted on the won't sound as loud and mine have got louder in the limited time I have used them circa 200km

If you are worried about the Jose I would buy another hub.

The very fact it is a consideration your stuck on leads me to believe you'll have an issue with it, personally I don't see the issue other than trying to talk to mates while free wheeling but I just get in with it as it's the best hub for my use / budget in my opinion.

They are noisy.
  • iLukeKendall
    Thanks a lot for all the responses and advice guys.

I picked up my bike from the shop yesterday with the lovely shiny new groupset to be told the main issue that was causing my chain to slip was that my freehub had broken... again, for the fourth time. Considering the last replacement has done less than 100 miles in relatively dry conditions, I decided I was fed up spending £35 each time, and so I ordered a set of Hope Hoops from Evans last night. Should be able to collect them on Tuesday, can't wait!

I listened to a set of the hubs run in the shop and whilst they're loud, I've decided I'm happy to put up with it considering how reliable and everlasting Hope Hubs seem to be notorious for. Plus it might make the irritating dog walkers hear me coming sooner and move out of my way in time - maybe they will make me faster after all!

Has anyone changed the cassette over onto a set of hoops themselves before? Was it easy enough to do, and did you have to reindex the gears significantly or did they just need a small tweak? I'll be moving a brand new 10 speed SLX cassette over from a Shimano 9 speed freehub body which it has recently been indexed to.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Changing a freehub is a 5 minute job, but you will have to index the gears.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • fizik
    fizik Posts: 247
    The noise also depends on the bike, wasnt very loud on my carbon rear ended yeti or cotic bfe, but very loud on my old orange 5 with its giant hollow resonating swingarm.
  • coulddobetter
    coulddobetter Posts: 812
    Cassette tool and chain whip , very easy job . I was upgrading to new shifters as well but even so set up and indexing didn't take long.
    As I said earlier I didn't find the noise too intrusive.
  • Just so you know hope reccomend nothing less than XT cassette on their hope wheels.
  • jimothy78
    Just so you know hope reccomend nothing less than XT cassette on their hope wheels.

Great, isn't it? You pay all that money for a quality, british-made product only for the manufacturer to say, "oh, by the way, it's made of butter..." :roll:
  • If you don't like it don't buy them ... Plenty of other choices. :)

The damage comes from the spectate cogs moving so it's always a good idea to make sure th lock ring is nice and tight :)
  • jimothy78
    If you don't like it don't buy them ... Plenty of other choices.

Actually, I bought mine by accident :oops: - bid on a cheap pair of ebay wheels to get the rims, and when I picked them up they had Pro II hubs. Nice to have from a servicing point of view, but I'm very glad I didn't spend big bucks to get them.
  • jimothy78 wrote:
    If you don't like it don't buy them ... Plenty of other choices.

Actually, I bought mine by accident :oops: - bid on a cheap pair of ebay wheels to get the rims, and when I picked them up they had Pro II hubs. Nice to have from a servicing point of view, but I'm very glad I didn't spend big bucks to get them.

For the money I think they are a good deal

£300 for wheels is nt huge money and to be honest for all they do £300 is a steal.

If it were some enve carbon wheels then it would be a different story. You'd expect more then :)

For me, for now, or the money. They're spot on.
  • iLukeKendall
    I've had a look at a few YouTube videos and switching the cassette over and reindexing doesn't seem to difficult - I have all the tools I need already.

As for the freehub body, I have an SLX cassette which I've been told by the bike shop has a carrier on the larger cogs and should be fine. I figure by the time the freehub body gets gouged significantly, I'll need a new cassette anyway - therefore I may as well use the alloy freehub, and upgrade to a steel freehub once it's no longer usable.

I did read on another forum about a chap who managed to get Hope to send a steel freehub to replace an alloy one free of charge after contacting them about the scoring issue - maybe worth a try when it happens?! I'm assuming the scoring doesn't damage the cassette in any way?