Seatpost, Bars and Stem...

WarlKicken
WarlKicken Posts: 224
edited May 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi All,

Little project, building my own bike (putting it together). I have the frame coming, lovely carbon number. Any suggestions on carbon seat post, carbon stem but alloy bars. Not to keen on carbon bars purely for safety really.

I know the usual brands, 3T, Easton, Pro etc etc but would be good to hear some suggestions on actual product names..

Thanks
WK

Comments

• Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Ritchey- WCS or Superlogic if you can afford it. Stay away from 'carbon' stems* (unless you pay stupid money they're just wrapped and weigh more than the alu equivalent).

*Superlogic C260 is a work of art and should be bought if funds allow
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    Another vote for Ritchey and I have 3T on my bikes but Ritchey has been the best kit that I've used. I'd forget about a carbon stem and there's no safety issue with carbon bars, I've used them for years and in that time I've been down the road a few times without an issue.
  • WarlKicken
    What a bout one of those talon bars? All in one? They're expensive but any idea on an all in one piece?

Cheers for suggestions. It's a long build so I'll accumulate and spend on bits when I can.
  • Grill
    Most integrated bar/stems are actually two pieces that are bonded so you pay a premium in both price and weight. I do have a set of Ritchey Monocurves that I love, but they're 5g heavier than my C260 and WCS Curve bars. You also eed to be 100% certain that you're getting the correct size.
  • WarlKicken
    Grill wrote:
    Most integrated bar/stems are actually two pieces that are bonded so you pay a premium in both price and weight. I do have a set of Ritchey Monocurves that I love, but they're 5g heavier than my C260 and WCS Curve bars. You also eed to be 100% certain that you're getting the correct size.

Mr. Grill. You're an extremely helpful person. SO I ordered a DOGMA frame and I'm going to spend the coming months of pay cheques building on it (I am sure my housemate will take YouTube vids as I am not the most gifted at putting things together. Just changing a tyre once was 'comedy gold' apparently). I have a ROKH that I can go play on so it's a nice 'project' and hopefully cheaper than spending 6-10k on a complete bike. Pretty comfortable and set on Ultegra groupset. I do love the Campag look but dislike the thumb style gear changing!! No need to go mad with DuraAce to be honest.

Never built one before so advice is extremely appreciated!! Thanks pal. I do love the 3T stuff!! I was also looking at PRO VIBE 7s. The Ritchey stuff is sexy, especially that full carbon stem, but 200....might gave to wait :^).

Have you used the ergo drops as apposed to usual curves? Is so....opinion?
  • Grill
    I use Ritchey Curves on 5 of my bikes. Best shape for me so I've never bothered to change.
  • WarlKicken
    Grill wrote:
    I use Ritchey Curves on 5 of my bikes. Best shape for me so I've never bothered to change.

Five bikes. Christ on a bike. I've caught (for better or worse) the Pinarello bug. My first was a Speedster S40. Ha!! That ol' gal.

Cheers again mate
  • WarlKicken
    ...I forgot to add. What's the deal with seat posts? Only other thing I really have little idea about
  • Mccaria
    Mccaria Posts: 869
    edited May 2014
    Frame comes with a seatpost. It's a specific shape to the Dogma so not a lot of options !

Dogma 2 with Ritchey Superlogic Evo Curve bars :

imagejpg1_zps48cdfa11.jpg
  • WarlKicken
    Mccaria wrote:
    Frame comes with a seatpost. It's a specific shape to the Dogma so not a lot of options !

Brilliant. I'm truly a novice but thank you. Pah!
  • Mccaria
    Mccaria Posts: 869
    Think you also said you were looking at the Pro Vibe. This is 60.1 with Pro Vibe bars and stem

imagejpg3_zps5503e3b5.jpg
  • WarlKicken
    Mccaria wrote:
    Think you also said you were looking at the Pro Vibe. This is 60.1 with Pro Vibe bars and stem

imagejpg3_zps5503e3b5.jpg

Thanks!! You sir, have a lot of bikes.