Bought wrong bike?

Rizel23
Rizel23 Posts: 2
edited May 2014 in Commuting general
We recently bought two:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... =true&msg=

In ladies and a 22" frame men's Carrera Subway Hybrid for myself

We love the bikes , and got them for £190 each new with a friends employee discount so were spot on in terms of price

But we can't raise the handle bars! We're both new to cycling which consists of cycling into town and leisure cycling, is there anything we can do to raise the bars? Thanks

Comments

• freezing77
    freezing77 Posts: 731
    Either buy a stem with more rise i.e. angled upwards.
    bbb-highrise-ovr-stem-med.jpg?w=430&h=430&a=7

Or buy a steerer tube extender.
    bbb-bhp-22-med.jpg?w=430&h=430&a=7
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    You can get riser bars rather than the flat bars on your Subways.
    These give a 91mm rise and you could probably get Halfords to do the swap in-store as part of your 6-week service:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_273951

100mm is about as far as MTB bars go, to go even higher use BMX bars but you'll need a BMX Stem as they are normally narrower at the stem joint than modern drop and MTB bars.

These give a 8-1/4" or 210mm rise iirc you can go upto around 10" with BMX bars.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Fitting a shorter stem also has some of the effect of raising the bars.

The Subway is a mountain bike frame, hence the mountain bike riding position.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    The subway isn't exactly low barred mind?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    It's not, but it's far from a sit up and beg like a town bike.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.