Scott scale 960?

mrlee
mrlee Posts: 499
edited May 2014 in MTB buying advice
What's the opinions on this as an introduction into the world of 29ers?

http://www.bikes-n-gear.com/mountain/sc ... -2014.html

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    It has the requisite 29er wheels.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • mrlee
    cooldad wrote:

You call that buying advice? Sorry. I must have posted in the wrong sub forum
  • Boromedic
    Boromedic Posts: 96
    mrlee wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

You call that buying advice? Sorry. I must have posted in the wrong sub forum

Lol, there ain't always much love for 29ers on here!

I'd say that it's a great frame, nice geometry, good basic specs if a little pricey, the crank ratios have been adjusted for 29er wheels too which is a sign they've thought about things. You may be able to get a better bike for less or similar money, the main weaknesses are the cheapo fork (although it's air with a lockout so not too bad), heavy wheels and a nasty headset so you'll be replacing them within a year or so maybe.

I can't offer too many alternatives to it unfortunately but you know the main brands that are recommended! Voodoo, Boardman, Cube and Canyon for similar money bikes with better forks. I especially like the Canyon Grand Canyon 6.9 as it has Rockshox Rebas ::-)

Good luck with whatever you buy, I love my 29er despite what the haters and conspiracy theorists on here say!
    "I should live in salt for leaving you, behind"

Ghost HTX Actinum 29er
  • mrlee
    Lol, there ain't always much love for 29ers on here!

I'd say that it's a great frame, nice geometry, good basic specs if a little pricey, the crank ratios have been adjusted for 29er wheels too which is a sign they've thought about things. You may be able to get a better bike for less or similar money, the main weaknesses are the cheapo fork (although it's air with a lockout so not too bad), heavy wheels and a nasty headset so you'll be replacing them within a year or so maybe.

I can't offer too many alternatives to it unfortunately but you know the main brands that are recommended! Voodoo, Boardman, Cube and Canyon for similar money bikes with better forks. I especially like the Canyon Grand Canyon 6.9 as it has Rockshox Rebas ::-)

Good luck with whatever you buy, I love my 29er despite what the haters and conspiracy theorists on here say!

Thank you.

It will be purchased through cycle solutions cycle to work scheme, and before people start telling me l'm better off getting 0% finance on something better, my credit rating is awful. So I thought I'd try and take the best on offer at cycle solutions. I am very limited to what they have. So it's a toss up between the Scott and the Cannondale Trail sl2.
  • Boromedic
    Boromedic Posts: 96
    No worries mate, they're both great frames but I'd go for the Scott over the Dale if your options are limited. Better initial spec across the board and lighter too which is always a bonus. The forks on the Cannondale are slightly better but you'll probably want to upgrade either set in a year or so. My Ghost felt like a different bike once I swapped the heavy RST forks for Rebas!

Enjoy whichever you buy, 29ers rock :-) Let us know what you decide.

P.s. The crank ratios on the Dale aren't best suited to 29" wheels either unlike the ones on the Scott.
    "I should live in salt for leaving you, behind"

Ghost HTX Actinum 29er