Mitts - me or them?

dyson1590
dyson1590 Posts: 73
edited May 2014 in Road buying advice
Hello,

Simpleton question...

I've done ~45 miles today with 99% of the time spent on my hoods. Was struggling with pain between my thumb and index finger a lot and sure enough I now have a blister on that bit of skin between the two. Is this my gloves - thus meaning I need new ones? Or am I gripping like an ape and need to adjust it?

If it's the gloves would love a recommendation for some comfortable mitts. Preferably ladies ones unless there's no difference bar sizing.

Cheers.

Comments

• northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    I can't give recommendations for specific ladies mitts however, having tried a few variants/ sizes of Spesh mitts over the years, there have been some which seem to fit perfectly and others which don't. I only really find out after a decent length ride. The ones which didn't fit properly tend to bunch up between the fingers and rub leading to discomfort - hasn't progressed to the extent of blisters.

Rightly or wrongly I concluded that the mitts with velcro closure band across the wrists tend to sit better and are less prone to 'bunching' of the material between fingers.

Sorry to be vague, but mitts seem to be a bit of a lottery until properly tried out!

Peter
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,180
    fit certainly varies with men's ones, so i'm sure it's the same for women's

it might be exacerbated by gripping too tight, but to get a blister there must be something rubbing on the skin, is there a rough/large seam?

fwiw i like castelli mitts
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Change your hand position every 15 minutes. Don't buy mitts that are too big. Put some bar tape on your handlebars.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • ThatBikeGuy
    ThatBikeGuy Posts: 394
    I don't tend to wear mitts, just gloves in the winter. Perhaps try a ride without any on and you may find out where the issue lies. Sounds like there maybe a seam in the wrong place.
    Cannondale SS Evo Team
    Kona Jake CX
    Cervelo P5
  • dyson1590
    dyson1590 Posts: 73
    Thanks for the replies. Think a ride without gloves is a great idea and will go from there.
  • vespario
    vespario Posts: 228
    Before you ride gloveless, just reflect on the damage you could do to the palm of your hands if you have an off.
    You may think it is not an issue and worth the risk.
  • gozzy
    gozzy Posts: 640
    Given the state of my mate's gloves after he got took down by a taxi recently, I wouldn't recommend anyone to ride gloveless.
  • snakedoc
    snakedoc Posts: 200
    I didn't get on with mitts at all until I realised that I'd be better off with mitts with no padding/gel etc

I use these - they're great: http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... -12-46258/
  • dork_knight
    dork_knight Posts: 405
    I also use the Giro Zero and more recently Hirlz Grippp, both are pretty good mitts... That being said I'm waiting on some gel mitts to arrive, after a 114 mile ride my hands were really starting to develop some pain in the palms due to the lack of padding. Pros and Cons of minimal padding I guess.
    The path of my life is strewn with cowpats from the devil's own satanic herd.