Campag Ceramic conversion

pinno
pinno Posts: 52,121
edited May 2014 in Road buying advice
May take the plunge.

My Eurus cones and bearings are not far from biting the dust. I can replace them no problem but for a few pennies more (bit of poetic license there), I could go ceramic. I already have a set of ceramic bearings (long story).

Part no.: 4-HB-HY022

Done a search but they are either out of stock or from a non UK outfit. Anybody know of a likely source other than the usual suspects* as they don't have them (*Ribble, Wiggle, CRC's, Evans)?

Cheers.
seanoconn - gruagach craic!

Comments

• mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Don't expect to feel any difference when riding though, it simply will not happen. If you were to change and then claim you could feel the difference when riding you'd be either (A) mental or (B) a liar, or both.

If you want to do it though, then cool, just do it! (I know someone who did a ceramic conversion on a Campag chainset, but to be fair it didn't cost them anything as they were given the bearings).
  • littledove44
    littledove44 Posts: 871
    True, but it is fun putting the bike on a stand, spinning the wheel, going to the pub and coming back to find the wheel still turning.
  • Miles253
    Miles253 Posts: 535
    Do ceramic bearings last longer too?
    Canyon Roadlite AL-Shamal Wheels-Centaur/Veloce Group
    Canyon Ult CF SL- Spin Koppenberg-Ultegra group
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    Miles253 wrote:
    Do ceramic bearings last longer too?

No
    left the forum March 2023
  • For what it is worth I have some fulcrum Zeros with Ceramic and I find the noisy when spinning the wheels on a bike stand. They are smooth enough, I have re greased them and it seems to have quietened them down, I have though about putting steel balls in them as they are cheaper to replace and run quieter IMHO. If I was buying new wheels at the moment I would get the Fulcrum 1 or the Campy the same as yours as they have the standard bearings in. The extra money is just not worth it.

I have a pair of Redwind,s with the CULT bearings and they are truly in a different league compared to the standard Ceramic bearings. They simply spin for ages and are so smooth.

For me I would stick with normal bearings unless you could fit the CULT system.

Richard...
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,121
    For what it is worth...
    I have a pair of Redwind,s with the CULT bearings and they are truly in a different league compared to the standard Ceramic bearings. They simply spin for ages and are so smooth.

For me I would stick with normal bearings unless you could fit the CULT system.

Richard...

Cones are pricey. It actually works out better to fit the complete Cult system. Only problem is that most suppliers are in the US which would mean paying import tax unless the supplier tells porkies. Best price yet $149.00 (£88) before shipping.

4 steel cones @ £12.80 = £50.40 plus 4 steel sets of bearings @ £6.67 = £26, Total: £77.08. Funny that.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Any campagnolo freindly shop can supply USB or CULT bearings but the cost is so high I struggle to see the point to save 0.3W or something like that.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.