Assos, a great reason to buy

defride
defride Posts: 277
edited May 2014 in Road buying advice
Bought Assos shorts a while back to see what the fuss was all about, didn't get on with them at first, they felt a little nappy like. Persevered for a few rides and noticed how much better they seemed to be than my Sugoi's in particular on longer rides.

As a result I bought another pair, then disaster, used the new ones a couple of times and crashed. 50mm tear on a front panel. Bummer...

I vaguely remembered seeing something about Assos repairs so checked out their site. Sure enough there was mention of a repair service and it recommended contacting the dealer they were bought from. I duly did, passed photo's and then sent them off for assessment. A note came back they'd been received and it'd likely be 2-3 weeks before I'd hear anything.

Short wait then a note back from the dealer to say they were being returned and they arrived this morning. I paid for post to the dealer but not to Switzerland nor the return and there has been no charge for the repair.

Pretty astonishing in this day and age. Nice one Wiggle and chapeau Assos, very much appreciated

As far as service goes, buy with confidence

Comments

• DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    That's a great result.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    I just picked up the S7 T.Cento. Most amazing bibs I've ever worn. Used them on a 210 miler and couldn't feel either of my saddle sores (I'd done around 600 miles over the previous week and I don't use chamois cream). In fact I had zero comfort issues the whole day. They make my Castelli Body Paints feel incredibly lackluster (and they're great bibs). You won't catch me buying anything else in the future.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    You could have stopped typing at the end of your first sentence and your title would still make sense ;-)

The free crash repairs are just a bonus and provides peace of mind.
    The reason you buy Assos is because they are better...........and annoy the haters :-)

Oh, there is an Aldi cycle event on tomorrow for all you haters.
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    they just go grey and see through. Rapha are better and give fantastic customer service.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • Grill
    they just go grey and see through. Rapha are better and give fantastic customer service.

My Rapha bibs have fallen apart after less than a dozen rides. In terms of overall fit and the pad, they're embarrassing when compared to the S7.
  • mallorcajeff
    mallorcajeff Posts: 1,489
    They have opened an assos discount outlet shop here in mallorca and went in today. Bundles of stuff piled high. Seems like nice gear. Bought myself some early winter gloves for when back in the uk. For 37 euros (£30) seem like some. Very nice gloves. Tons and tons of gear and the off bike stuff looks nice although still dear instead of 400 euros for jacket its 200.

Will go back another day when i have some time for a look about. Anyone coming to mallorca its on the main strip in playa de muro opposite the max hurzeler base.
  • Grill
    I visited it last week. It's fine as long as you don't wear medium. The S7's are so far above and beyond my S5's I can no longer bring myself to buy old stock...
  • charlie_potatoes
    charlie_potatoes Posts: 1,921
    they just go grey and see through.

This just happened to a pair worn by one of our club members.
    Not a good look. :shock:
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017

User error. Just need to learn to wash them properly after every ride and they'll last for years.
  • charlie_potatoes
    robbo2011 wrote:

User error. Just need to learn to wash them properly after every ride and they'll last for years.

In what way does the washing process differ from other makes of bib short Robbo?
  • Grill
    robbo2011 wrote:

In what way does the washing process differ from other makes of bib short Robbo?

From Assos:
    STORE & WASH
    Store
    After each ride, hang the garments in a well-ventilated environment or wash them immediately.
    Do not hang the garments in the direct sunlight.
    Never store damp clothes in a non-ventilated environment (e.g. plastic bags, sport bag, suitcase, etc.).
    If your body has a tendency to sweat a lot, water-rinse the garments after each use to protect the fibers from bacterial attacks which might lead to fabric deterioration.
    Wash
    Washing a garment means putting stress on fabric and seams! Therefore, wash cycling garments separately from other clothes / accessories to prevent friction.
    Before washing, turn the garments inside out (seams on the outside).
    Machine-wash is possible but always use a wash bag, a delicate cycle and lukewarm water (max. 30° C).
    Do not use bleachers and/or softeners. Use a mild liquid detergent only (e.g. ASSOS active wear cleanser).
    Do not soak, wring or rub. Do not spin after washing. To remove excess water from your garment gently squeeze by hand.
    Dry garments flat or hanging, but do not tumble dry.

Considering the price, there's no excuse not to wash and store them correctly.
  • robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    Just hand wash them with the Assos detergent and they'll last and last.

Yes, the S5 lycra does seem to be a bit susceptible to washing issues, but the quality of the fit and the pad more than makes up for it. So take care of the investment and they'll repay you. My S5 Unos are well into their fourth year of use and have not gone see through yet, or anything close to it and the pad is still perfect.

The S7 lycra is supposed to be more robust but who knows at this stage.
  • Grill
    robbo2011 wrote:
    The S7 lycra is supposed to be more robust but who knows at this stage.

I'll be using mine over 2000 miles in 10 days with no wash so I'll let you know. ;)
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,471
    My S5s get a quick dunk in cold water after the ride and hung up in the bathroom to drip, then eventually washed with the other pair and jerseys on a 30C "sports wash" cycle with a bleach & bio free liquid detergent. I do spin them and I don't use the bag, although they are inside out. They then get hung up in the bathroom to dry. No problems yet after 2 years of use. Unless they are see-through and nobody's told me.. :wink:
  • neal1984
    neal1984 Posts: 240
    They have opened an assos discount outlet shop here in mallorca and went in today. Bundles of stuff piled high. Seems like nice gear. Bought myself some early winter gloves for when back in the uk. For 37 euros (£30) seem like some. Very nice gloves. Tons and tons of gear and the off bike stuff looks nice although still dear instead of 400 euros for jacket its 200.

Will go back another day when i have some time for a look about. Anyone coming to mallorca its on the main strip in playa de muro opposite the max hurzeler base.

I've just bought a pair of S7 neopro for a trip to Playa de muro. I did want the model up but was worried about the fit. I can see me bringing back a couple of pairs if they have them in stock!

Life is like riding a bicycle: you don't fall off unless you stop pedaling.

Scott Foil Team Issue HMX Di2
    Boardman Team Carbon LTD
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    Fabric conditioner seems to be the kiss of death for lycra.

I wash my bibs in the machine with other clothes and include the spin cycle. They last for ages with no see through areas.

Peter
  • charlie_potatoes
    robbo2011 wrote:
    Just hand wash them with the Assos detergent and they'll last and last.

That would invoke more than a raised eyebrow if I was to suggest this to Mrs.P :shock:
    Grill wrote:
    Considering the price, there's no excuse not to wash and store them correctly.

I agree. I'll tell our club member.
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    Grill wrote:
    I just picked up the S7 T.Cento. Most amazing bibs I've ever worn. Used them on a 210 miler and couldn't feel either of my saddle sores (I'd done around 600 miles over the previous week and I don't use chamois cream). In fact I had zero comfort issues the whole day. They make my Castelli Body Paints feel incredibly lackluster (and they're great bibs). You won't catch me buying anything else in the future.

I bought a few S5 bibs on sale, perhaps I should have just spent more and got the S7!
    Grill look into this for your Saddle Sores
    http://www.reskin.eu/products/sports/re ... reskinbike
  • Grill
    FatTed wrote:
    Grill wrote:

I bought a few S5 bibs on sale, perhaps I should have just spent more and got the S7!
    Grill look into this for your Saddle Sores
    http://www.reskin.eu/products/sports/re ... reskinbike

Appreciate it, but I've always managed to ride through them. :P
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,471
    I'd be really interested to hear more about people's experiences with sizing between the older S5s and the S7s, as well as newer S5s. There were a few threads a while back with people claiming that the more recently manufactured S5s were sized larger. Also, if there are any differences between the different S7 models.

I seem to remember that my S5 F13s fitted just a little less tightly when they were new (and I haven't put on weight or developed Greipel quads since then..). So I wonder if it is just that the lycra shrinks very slightly over many washes.

If the sizing IS larger on the thighs, how does this correlate with height / shoulder strap length? I currently tend to wear Small size jerseys and Medium bibs and I've heard other people say the same, so it might make sense if the sizing has been rationalised to bring the jerseys and bibs into line.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Love my S5's (just put them away as had left them on the bed and sun might get them :( )
    Take pretty good care of them. Will use bag from now on and turn down spin speed even more.

Need another pair ideally (as current ones are white/black) so will check out the S7's :wink:
    What's the difference between the various S7's?