Scott Foil 15 Di2 build question

rjsmith
rjsmith Posts: 1,924
edited May 2014 in Workshop
Anyone built one of these up from Westbrook Cycles? It looks almost impossible to cable up the Di2 without removing the already fitted bb that the frame came with. Is this right?

If so, what tools are needed for the pressfit bb removal?

Thanks, in advance.

Comments

• simonj
    simonj Posts: 346
    If BB has full sleeve, it will have to be removed and refitted, use a standard BB30 removal tool (http://www.parktool.com/product/bottom- ... 0-bbt-30-3 - £35) and cup press tool to put it back (http://www.parktool.com/product/home-me ... ress-hhp-3 - £50). Park Tools are good, but not cheap, others may be cheaper or you may be able to cobble bits together to do a DIY job, but I prefer to have the right tools for the job. Even if it's not full sleeve BB - I suspect it is - it's best if removed to make it easier to bring all the cables together and put the junction block in there. Good fun threading all those cables, fun to do, but can be frustrating. If you're not going to do it more than once, it may be cheaper to pay a LBS to do this than buy the tools, but it's fun and satisfying to do it yourself.
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    That bearing remover is for BB30. The Foil is BB86, which is easiest to remove with something like this:

http://www.parktool.com/product/pressfi ... t-bbt-90-3

It's a while since I've done a foil, but my recollection is that you do need access to the BB.
  • rjsmith
    Thanks guys. Yes, the bb86 has a sleeve in so will get that removed. I wired up another Scott so with using some old normal cables as a help I think it should be ok to do without too much problem once the bb removed.
  • tomhammersley
    tomhammersley Posts: 107
    Did your BB come fully pressed in?

Mine was pressed in only finger tight - as a packing thing I presume. I popped it out with my fingers (i.e. no tools), wired it up, then got it pressed in afterwards. With sleeve.
  • mallorcajeff
    mallorcajeff Posts: 1,489
    Save yourself the bother they have sold out
  • rjsmith
    Thanks mallorcajeff but I bought mine a couple of months ago so already have it.

Tom - my bb seems to be fully installed already.
  • benmac75
    benmac75 Posts: 53
    Mine was installed. Something I only realised wa an issue after I'd spent an age faffing with the cables.

Specific tools are available and I do have the Park one so used that. Even so it did feel a bit odd wielding a hammer so near to a brand new frame. Its a doddle once the BB is out.

If you don't have the tool and can't find a friendly LBS or a mate to borrow one off then someone I know had success by buying some plastic pipe of the right diameter to go through the bearings and cutting slits in one end like the Park tool has. He fitted a plug of some sort in the other end so it didn't cave in from hammering and it apparently worked a treat in a "one use" kind of way. The pipe plastic was softer than the BB so the tool was wrecked after working nicely.

Remember that you'll need some sort of press or more judicious hammer use to put the bearing back in (just take one side out!).

If you haven't realised alreayd the fork steerer expander bung that Scott send is rubbish. I finally gave up with mine last night after another loosening and have bought the Deda one which gets a good write up as far as I can tell and apparently fits nicely in the foil's fork.
  • rjsmith
    Thanks benmac for the very useful reply and information. I've got a press to refit a bearing so that will be ok. I've ordered the SuperStar removal tool as it was cheaper than the Park one at only £20 (though I do like Park stuff).
    Really appreciate the help so thanks again all.
  • rjsmith
    How much force did you need with the hammer out of interest? Had a little go with a rubber mallet and the tool but nothing seemed to move. Do I just need to tap harder?
  • simonj
    simonj Posts: 346
    When I use a bbt-90-3 to remove a BB86 I use a hammer not a rubber mallet as it's a more hit and there is nothing to mark as you are hitting the tool with the hammer. Seemed much easier and also once the BB has moved a little you have kind of broken then seal and it then the rest comes out much easier. Always use rubber mallet to tap out crank if needed, but not on bearings when using a tool.
  • rjsmith
    Cool. Yes, metal hammer worked a treat. Popped out nicely. Thanks for the help!