GPS

Rad2474
Rad2474 Posts: 162
edited May 2014 in MTB general
Is there an app i can get for my phone that tells me which direction to go for finding trails. I was up Kielder last week for the first time and like Hamsterly sign posting isn't great which isn't good when you have the fitness level of an asthmatic ant carrying a heavy load of shopping. ( quote stolen from Rowan Atkinson). What i want is something that says go this was to whatever trail i'm after. Don't have the funds available for a garmin type device yet. I have a Galaxy s3mini on android if that makes any difference.Thanks.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Not the way you want, AFAIK.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • iLukeKendall
    iLukeKendall Posts: 160
    Unfortunately the only way I can see of doing this, would be to buy a Garmin Edge 800 or 810 (with maps), and add the start points to the trails as waypoints. You'd then have two options;

A. Calculate Route
    If you select the waypoint, you can then get the Garmin to calculate a route to the start point. The only problem however, is that if you're off-road and not sticking to major fireroads, it's unlikely it will find paths to route to, and try to route you via main roads, which might take you way off course.

B. Map View
    Rather than calculating the route, you could just get the Garmin to display the marker on the map view. The Garmin unit will know which was is North, and rotate the map according to your direction of travel, so you would know if you're heading in the right direction. Personally this is how I'd go about a solution.
    Whyte 29-CS • Canyon Ultimate • #CCWMTB • Strava Profile
  • freezing77
    freezing77 Posts: 731
    OSMAND, will give you offline maps and on the fly routing.

You can also download a show gpx files on the maps.
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    Get 'Viewranger' on the phone and raid any of the many websites that hold GPX files for various routes and rides (or use one of the websites to build your own routes). Download the relevant chunk of open source mapping to the phone, or buy the relevant OS tiles and you're good to go. OK, it won't give you turn-by-turn instructions, but you'll be able to look down and see where you're at in relation to everything around you, what direction you're heading in and if you're on track. It works very well, especially considering it's a free app. You may have to spend a few quid on something to hold the phone where you need it to see it.
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • Rad2474
    Rad2474 Posts: 162
    Thanks will look into the suggestions.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Best way to do this if you are going out of signal area (most of Keilder) is to use OS Atlas Application and preview the area you'll be riding at the zoom level you need, this will make it Cache the maps so you can still use them when you leave signal. But it will have limitations at trail centres where routes frequently change.

Ride with GPS can do turn by turn navigation and is great for building routes on the PC before going out and riding, quality of the navigation will be down to the quality of your phone's GPS.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... gps.mobile
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.