Groupset info.

carl1983
carl1983 Posts: 162
edited May 2014 in MTB beginners
Hi, I'm a roadie and I will be buying a mountain bike next week, I know all about the various groupsets for road bikes and have Sram on my bike, Can someone can give me a run down on the Hierarchy of the Groupsets for mountain bikes?

Also many choose Sram on road bikes because of the light weight components is this the same for Mountain bike users?

I like building my own road bikes and will probably do the same with a Mountain bike eventually so any info would be very helpful.

Thanks.

Comments

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Shimano (best to worst)

XTR
    XT
    SLX
    Deore

SRAM:
    XX/XX1
    X0/X01
    X9
    X7
    X5

Not necessarily directly comparable, SRAM X0 is generally more expensive than Shimano XTR (think Rival costing more than Dura Ace).

The weight is less of a factor on MTBs, a lot of people are going to single ring drivetrains now, XX1 and X01 afford the best options if you want to do that, and weigh less as there are fewer parts. Alternatively you can convert any Shimano group set. Compatibility is a minefield, worse than road stuff.
  • carl1983
    carl1983 Posts: 162
    njee20 wrote:
    Shimano (best to worst)

XTR
    XT
    SLX
    Deore

SRAM:
    XX/XX1
    X0/X01
    X9
    X7
    X5

Not necessarily directly comparable, SRAM X0 is generally more expensive than Shimano XTR (think Rival costing more than Dura Ace).

The weight is less of a factor on MTBs, a lot of people are going to single ring drivetrains now, XX1 and X01 afford the best options if you want to do that, and weigh less as there are fewer parts. Alternatively you can convert any Shimano group set. Compatibility is a minefield, worse than road stuff.

Thanks for your reply very informative.

I will go have a look at prices and reviews of all the above to get more of an understanding.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Much like on the road the ergonomics of the shifter are a big defining factor for many - a lot of people just like the feel of SRAM or Shimano much more than the other.