Front derailer

BckGodofhell
BckGodofhell Posts: 29
edited May 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Ok im also tryn to fit a front derailer but the two types bottom clamp and high clamp dont fit when i tightn the mount bolt the angle of the derailer move too high. How many types are there?

Comments

• jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    What frame you trying to fit it on? Some can't take a band-on mech, and need a bottom-bracket mount instead (although this is relatively rare).
    Not sure what you mean by the angle moving too high - have you unscrewed the high and low limit screws?
  • Its a banshee. Ive just found out it was fitted with a sram x5. Its a sram x7 im tryn to fit. Do i need to take the bash guard off? Ill try n get a photo up if it lets me
  • jimothy78
    Well, I can't see any reason a band-on mech won't fit - most of the images I can see have low-clamp band-on mechs fitted. There shouldn't be any significant difference between the original derailleur and any other one you could have sourced, so can you try to explain the problem you're having a bit morew clearly, preferably with some pictures.
  • Theres my first mistake i got a high clamp. It wont let me put photos up.
  • jimothy78
    Thought you said you'd already tried high- and low-clamp designs?
    It wont let me put photos up.
    use a third-party picture hosting site like Flickr or Photobucket, then just link to your pictures on that site.
  • The low clamp i have is a deore but i think it is a bottom pull (i need top)as it wont go right down to the bottom off the frame. The hight clamp is my new x7.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Try actually explaining the problem you are having with the mech you have.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Well if my phone would let me reduce the size of the pics small enough for this site to upload i could explain alot better.
  • The Rookie
    Use an external host like photobucket or flikr etc, much easier!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Its a banshee. Ive just found out it was fitted with a sram x5. Its a sram x7 im tryn to fit. Do i need to take the bash guard off? Ill try n get a photo up if it lets me

Carrera Banshee or one manufactured by Banshee cycles?
  • The Rookie
    X5....it will be the Carrera variety.
  • Ok the new bottom mount x7 is in. I have a 22t and a 36t on front but it wont let me use bottom front and bottom back.
    Are u ment to or do i need to change my rings.
    There mounted on the inner and second.
  • jimothy78
    I have a 22t and a 36t on front but it wont let me use bottom front and bottom back.

Do you mean smallest chainring with biggest sprocket or biggest chainring with smallest sprocket?

Either way, you're not really meant to use that sort of combination, but you should be able to physically select it. Can you define "won't let me"? - do you mean the chain isn't long enough, the derailleur won't shift far enough, etc, etc.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    jimothy78 wrote:
    so can you try to explain the problem you're having a bit more clearly, preferably with some pictures.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Like i said i cant use the front chainring (22t) and the back sprocket on the cassette (11t) to gether.

I dont know what its called but the piece of front derailer that the chain rides over kinda U shaped. The chain rubes on it if i use the last 3 sprockets as well as the bottom chain ring.
  • freezing77
    freezing77 Posts: 731
    Take it to a bike shop, or someone who knows what they are doing.
  • The Rookie
    So lower the mech down the seat tube a bit!
  • where is the fun in that

It is as far down as it will go
  • If all i did was pay someone else to do it how would i learn anything about my bike?
  • jimothy78
    If all i did was pay someone else to do it how would i learn anything about my bike?

Well, if you can't learn how to upload pictures, then I don't reckon you've got much chance of mastering bike mechanics ;)
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    So learn something simple first like how to post pictures. It's explained in the FAQ
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools