puy de dome

curium
curium Posts: 815
edited May 2014 in Pro race
May be heading to the Auvergne this summer after a holiday booking nightmare. Just wanted to check if it is still possible to cycle up the puy de dome?

I did hear that it was possible on a sunday only and then someone else said they built a railway on the road and now you can only walk or get a train up to the top.

Can anyone with recent experience confirm?

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    left the forum March 2023
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    Can't help thinking they've missed out - could have been a real draw for cycle tourism.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • mm1
    mm1 Posts: 1,063
    Doubt anyone cares, visited a few years back and the visitors' centre / observatory at the top was full of tourist tat. Nothing to suggest that this was once an iconic climb in the Tour, I expected pictures of the Anquetil / Poulidor battle - nothing.
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,095
    Not sure why this is in Pro Race but... even the sportive that used to climb the Puy no longer has permission.

Still the climb is iconic because of this

formidable-duel-entre-anquetil-et-poulidor-sur-les-pentes-du-puy-de-dome-anquetil-et-poulidorpoulidor.jpg
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    mm1 wrote:
    Doubt anyone cares, visited a few years back and the visitors' centre / observatory at the top was full of tourist tat. Nothing to suggest that this was once an iconic climb in the Tour, I expected pictures of the Anquetil / Poulidor battle - nothing.

Sadly it has been forgotten by the TdF. Too small to fit 300 cars and lorries... too steep and too narrow to allow the procession of vehicles that want to advertise crap you don't need to safely get to the top... in other words, too good for the Tour...
    Victims of their own grandeur, they are limited to the gentle gradients of mountain motorways leading to overcrowded Skiing resorts, where they can charge 4 figures for a few nights stay...
    Vive Le Tour... :?
    left the forum March 2023