What do you do with old parts?

chris_bass
chris_bass Posts: 4,913
edited May 2014 in Workshop
I have a few old wheelsets, chains, cassettes, tyres and stuff that have just been taking yp space in my shed, how do people get rid of this stuff?
www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Skip.dump.recycle.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Sell it or give away.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • wishitwasallflat
    wishitwasallflat Posts: 2,927
    Ask yossie
  • Ibis2k14
    Ibis2k14 Posts: 25
    I usually replace stuff when it's totally broken/worn out, so I don't often have many spares. Occasionally, I add something extra on my order from Wiggle,CRC etc because I find a huge sale on something that I may eventually need (chain, cassette etc).
    When I do have extra stuff that's in reasonable conditions but I cannot use in any way or form I simply sell it or find a way to trade.
    I've recently upgraded all my bike to 10 speeds so there was no point for me to keeping all the old 8s spares from my commuter. I went to the lbs and traded them for other used things that he had laying around and he was not using.

Don't let your amount of spares grow too much or you'll feel lazy to sell/swap them!
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    You're most of the way towards achieving "number of bikes required = n+1" - so you need a spare frame / bars / brakes etc obviously!! ;).
  • sandyballs
    sandyballs Posts: 577
    Throw them in next doors garden.
  • JackPozzi
    JackPozzi Posts: 1,191
    Sell sprockets to local ninjas who make throwing stars out of them
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    Clean them up and flog them on eBay as low mileage/careful owner, selling due to upgrade.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    i should have said, this stuff is all well past the point of selling, all worn out or broken!
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • mattsccm
    mattsccm Posts: 409
    Keep it, it may come in handy. I have to assume there is some life left or it would have been binned.
  • Ibis2k14
    Ibis2k14 Posts: 25
    Chris Bass wrote:
    i should have said, this stuff is all well past the point of selling, all worn out or broken!

In that case, try to recycle it as ornament/furniture/useful stuff. I've seen a dude using an old handlebar (drop bar) hanged on the wall to store a bike, a crankset reused as a clock etc etc, some DIY funtime!

If something is totally, absolutely rubbish....eh....throw it away (recycle!) or give it away for free/offer to swap it for a beer or two.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Ask yossie

What's that? Is it a charity/recycling company? Do they take engine oil and the such like?

Sandyballs wrote:

Ridiculous idea. Unsocial, unenvironmental, unhygienic. Sick.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    There's a guy in our club that will take pretty much any and all unwanted parts. He builds bike for kids who don't have the money for them.
  • chrisgal
    chrisgal Posts: 130
    dennisn wrote:
    There's a guy in our club that will take pretty much any and all unwanted parts. He builds bike for kids who don't have the money for them.

We'll done that man!!
  • wishitwasallflat
    Ask yossie

What's that? Is it a charity/recycling company? Do they take engine oil and the such like?

Sandyballs wrote:

Yossie is a long standing forum member (haven't seen posts for a while though) who had a running joke in nearly all his workshop posts about chucking old parts in next doors garden.
  • BrandonA
    BrandonA Posts: 553
    Chains, cassettes and tyres get dumped as they are worthless once they're worn.

I do have a spare part of S-Works handlebars which I don't know what to do with. I sometimes think about putting them on my winter bike (along with the spare S-Works stem) but currently both are sitting unloved in the garage. I won't bin them as they not cheap but I'm too lazy to sell them.
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,239
    Sandyballs wrote:

I think you need to delete your account and reboot it with some humor included.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • Matthewfalle
    Ask yossie

Yossie is a long standing forum member (haven't seen posts for a while though) who had a running joke in nearly all his workshop posts about chucking old parts in next doors garden.

So nothing to do with engine oil collection and recycling or any of the processes attached thereto/thereon?

Oh. Thank you anyway - I'll keep an eye out for his posts. Do you know if he knows anyone reference recycling? Maybe worth a PM?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,239
    How many bikes do you pedal that require engine oil?
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • Matthewfalle
    None which is why I need.to get rid of it in a socially, enviromentally and fiscally advantageous manner. I've tried putting it milk bottles and in lucky dip barrels but it keeps on getting returned.

As an aside, I have heard some people advocate the use of old engine oil to lube chains but haven't tried it myself so don't know for certain and therefore couldn't offer counsel to this option. It's a rubbish hair product as well.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • wishitwasallflat
    Council recycling centres include sites ones which take engine oil - Google for your local recycling centre and they will tell you which one takes engine oil.
  • Matthewfalle
    Is this the guy - Yosi? (Comments section)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/others ... e-Vos.html

Seems his calling card?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    Flog to your friendly local scrap merchant

Or take up the dump and put in metal bin