giant overdrive 2 silliness.. Help needed!

steve_muzzy
steve_muzzy Posts: 259
edited May 2014 in MTB buying advice
So bought a giant anthem. Wanted to change the stem and headset spacers but after buying new ones turns out the steerer is oversized and 1.25 inch as opposed to 1.125. Anyone know where I can get a decent shorter stem and spacers? Cant seem to find any on crc merlin etc.

Thanks!

Comments

• Balaclavas
    Balaclavas Posts: 61
    From memory you are currently limited to ritchy and giant stems, either way they are difficult to source in the UK. My mate is even having trouble replacing his top cap. I stand by to be corrected though.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Giant shops sell them but I think the shortest you can get is 50mm.
    Overdrive 2 was enough to put me off buying a Trance.
  • steve_muzzy
    steve_muzzy Posts: 259
    Popped into my local giant dealer and got a giant 70mm stem. Not as short as I wanted but better than the 100mm effort on there just now. However I think giant listened. All the 2014 trances and anthems in the shop had a standard steerer. .. :roll:
  • The giant website lists all their 2014 trances and anthems with overdrive 2.
    Giant Trance 3 '08
    Kona Lava Dome '96
    Giant Alliance '08
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Syntace do 1.25" stems too - the F119 comes with a shim.
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    Look for the giant connect stem, it's cheaper than their contact stem. I got a 60mm one for £22.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • chrisw333
    chrisw333 Posts: 695
    Look for the giant connect stem, it's cheaper than their contact stem. I got a 60mm one for £22.

But your's is the 2012 model which I don't think had the newer 'Overdrive 2' system did it? I stand to be corrected of course!