test rides

Kareny
Kareny Posts: 5
edited May 2014 in Commuting general
Hi folks, I'm buying a new bike, and am booked to test ride a couple at my lbs - any tips on things to look for or be aware of on a test ride? I'm upgrading from an older steel framed hybrid to an aluminium one, and with much, much better components - my worry is that they will all feel so much better than my current bike that I won't be sure what I'm looking for! Thanks :-)

Comments

• dav1
    dav1 Posts: 1,298
    Although the bikes are a big upgrade you should still be able to feel differences between them. Have in mind how you want your new bike to feel when testing. For me when test riding the right bike has always been instinctive rather then thoughtful (this is probably why the last two bikes I bought were not the bike I had on the top of my list :lol: )

The best thing you can do it try to test them on routes that simulate your main use of the bike and really think about how well it handles, climbs, descends etc. If you can test the bikes within a short space of time on the same route then even better.

The other thing to not is be very honest with the shop when sitting on the bike and after the ride about how it feels. A good salesman will not hesitate to suggest a different size or even a different bike if he thinks it will suit you better. They may even offer to so thinks like swap out the stem if you need a longer or shorter one.
    Giant TCR advanced 2 (Summer/race)
    Merlin single malt fixie (Commuter/winter/training)
    Trek superfly 7 (Summer XC)
    Giant Yukon singlespeed conversion (winter MTB/Ice/snow)

Carrera virtuoso - RIP
  • Kareny
    Kareny Posts: 5
    Thanks - you were right, I knew exactly which one I wanted after riding them! :-)