Specialized Toupe 2012 v 2014

mitchgixer6
mitchgixer6 Posts: 729
edited May 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi all

Due to an issue with the side clamp mechanism with my new bike it looks like I'm going to have to trade in my 2013 Toupe Pro (carbon rails) for a 2014 Toupe Expert (Ti rails). I would buy a 2013 Expert but I'm struggling to find stock anywhere.

My question is if anyone has had experience of the new 2014 saddles? All the toupe's (bar the Pro which I can't buy) now have gel. My previous saddle doesn't have gel and I did try one with gel previously and didn't really get on with it. I think it was too soft.

Are the new 2014 shells any stiffer so as to negate the usage of Gel? Or are they as soft as the 2013 gel Toupes?

Many thanks folks.

Comments

• mitchgixer6
    Anyone??
  • ytchi
    ytchi Posts: 61
    I bought a 2014 Toupe Pro and had to return it when the base cracked along the sides about midway along the length of the saddle. This was a bit of a surprise as I'm a very light bloke. Apart from that issue the saddle was OK but pretty hard so was fairly unforgiving on my boney arse. I replaced it with an Arione VS which is a bit more comfortable.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    I eventually snapped my 2012 Toupe Pro. Now been replaced with a 2014 Toupe Pro (which is identical to the 2013 model I have). I prefer the older shape but flex seems pretty much the same. I also have a 2013 Toupe S-Works which is a bit stiffer but has the same amount of padding. None are as good as my 2012 Toupe S-Works (now called the McLaren) which is way stiffer, lighter and more comfortable even witch minimal padding. The 2014 S-Works is a bit different and I may give it a try.

I had a gel Toupe, which was incredibly uncomfortable as the shell was too soft. The Pro is the minimum stiffness I get along with (had an Expert as well and found it softer).
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • mitchgixer6
    Many thanks for the info guys. I fear the new models may be too soft hence the question and sounds like this may be the case.

My lbs had offered me a good deal on an Antares R3 so I've just bought a cheaper version on here to try out first to see if I get on with it.

I struggle to understand why Specialized changed the spec of the toupe so much for this year. Last year there were gel and non gel versions of each model and now that option has pretty much disappeared. If you want a non gel saddle then it has to be carbon rails which I just can't use just now.

Tbh I'd be happy to move away from the toupe as I've had one crack too and plenty of other reports of the same thing happening to others. It's just so comfortable though!
  • Grill
    The breaks seem limited to the non carbon shell models before 2013 (reason for the design change). Why can't you use carbon rails? I would never compromise on the saddle, especially if you've found one that works.
  • mitchgixer6
    My new bike has a 3T difflock clamp which I can't change. I already bought the oval clamps (£30) which don't work. I've asked 3T about the compatibility issues but all is quiet from them. I've read reports that others have had issues with these clamps and carbon rails too.

There is a possibility I could buy a full difflock assembly that might work, but at £50 I'm tempted just to put that towards a saddle with metal rails.

EDIT. I've change the title as it looks like the new design was out in 2013 so my question is regarding the older 2012 design.
  • Grill
    You should be able to just change the end caps.
    http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=118327
  • mitchgixer6
    Yes, already bought them at £30 and they don't work.

Various reports of others in that thread with the same issue as well.
  • Grill
    I'd replace the seat post. I'd have trouble trusting a company that can't properly manufacture a clamp...
  • mitchgixer6
    Unfortunately it's not that easy. I have the new Felt AR1 which has a deep section aero seat post. I wouldn't even want to hazard a guess at how much a replacement would be. I doubt very much that they would have any spare anyway as the bike is in very short supply.
  • Grill
    I'll ask the boys at the shop tomorrow (big Felt retailer) as I'm sure they've run across it before.
  • mitchgixer6
    Ok many thanks.