Zee rear hub

rockmonkeysc
rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
edited May 2014 in MTB buying advice
Has anyone used these? Are they any good and low maintenance? How are they long term?
They seem to be reasonable weight considering they have a steel freehub and they are very cheap.

Comments

• benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Very reliable as long as you're willing to service the bearings every year > 2 years.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Thanks, that sounds better than my Superstar hub which needs a new freehub and bearings every three months.
  • I had the old saint m810's for a while which are pretty similar, never had any issues!
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    Thanks, that sounds better than my Superstar hub which needs a new freehub and bearings every three months.

Does it really?
  • rockmonkeysc
    Yes. Three cracked freehubs so far and lots of bearings. The sealing around the bearings is crap and the freehub body is less than 1mm thick in the recesses for the pawls, which is where they crack.
  • Hmm.. my superstar switch hubs are still going strong after 2 years abuse.. only changed the bearings once too!
  • rockmonkeysc
    POAH wrote:
    that not a warranty return?

Yep but thats usually over a week with no bike.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    I've had no real issues with mine. Bearings are a little rough but easy to change to better quality ones. Ime shimano hubs needs the cones tweaking every 2-3 months. DT 350 would be my choice if you can stretch that far. Top quality 240 internals in a heavier hub shell, should be super reliable and they can be upgraded to a 36t ratchet as well to double the Poe
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    Hmm.. my superstar switch hubs are still going strong after 2 years abuse.. only changed the bearings once too!

Mine have gone a year of abuse and only changed the front bearing once, and I didn't even need to (thought it was causing play but it was something else!)