Wheel sets £700

Harpagon
Harpagon Posts: 8
edited May 2014 in Road buying advice
My mavic front wheel has given up the ghost and I have been quoted £230 for a new rim and spokes will get it repaired for winter wheels but I am considering getting a whole new wheel set for about £700 but wanted people's views! I'm a big lad weighting in at over 110kg!

Comments

• drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Oh dear, another factory wheel set being put in the bin. Get some hand built wheels, 32 spoke, archetype rims, 105 hubs for around £300.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    Seems a straightforward case of hand-builts, so next time the bill for a new rim + work will only be 70-80 pounds...

You NEED Dura Ace hubs laced to a nice wide rim. You probably need 36 spokes on the rear wheel and 28 on the front. Then, you WILL be happy... :D
    left the forum March 2023
  • IrishMac
    IrishMac Posts: 328
    Seems a straightforward case of hand-builts, so next time the bill for a new rim + work will only be 70-80 pounds...

You NEED Dura Ace hubs laced to a nice wide rim. You probably need 36 spokes on the rear wheel and 28 on the front. Then, you WILL be happy... :D

For the sake of proportionality, go with maybe 32 spokes on the front.
    Member of Cuchulainn C.C. @badcyclist

Raleigh SP Race
    Trek 1.2
  • brownbosh
    brownbosh Posts: 602
    OOOOOH , tune mig and mag laced to ambrosio nemesis with cx rays?? 36 rear 32 front.

( think I may have messed myself )
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Nemesis rim are tubular rims nothing worng with that but why not use DA hubs cheaper than Tune and better in many ways for all year round use. CX-rays on a high spoke count wheel that is not going to be used for racing why. Also I have a 36H rear Nemesis rim on Laser spokes but I am alot light than the OP. It is stiff enough for me but not for a 110kg rider. A CX-ray build will not be suitable.

Ultegra or DA hub (ultegra make the most sense) on Archetype rims is what I would do unless you want tubs. It won't cost £700 either and it will be more reliable.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • brownbosh
    brownbosh Posts: 602
    1) I love tubs.
    2) I have 3 separate xray builds all of which last under me - at times im not any lighter than he.
    3) D.A are everywhere, I like the fact that you don't see tunes around much and they are simply beautiful.
  • hypster
    hypster Posts: 1,229
    brownbosh wrote:
    3) D.A are everywhere, I like the fact that you don't see tunes around much and they are simply beautiful.

I wonder what the reason for that can be?
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Regardless with what you get away I would still not recomend it. CX-rays on a build like this confers no real world advantage, the rims are not aerodynamic and the high spoke count compounds that. Hell the Europcar team have there racers on Nemsis rim, campagnolo Record 2006 hubs and 2.0 plain gauge spokes in some races.

As for DA hubs being common I do not see them that often. You obviously have a lot of rich mates.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.