Disposing of used chain cleaner.

Paulj700
Paulj700 Posts: 76
edited May 2014 in Workshop
I'm using Morgan Blue chain cleaner with a park tool cleaner.

Anyone advise on how best to cleanly dispose of this stuff after use?

Thanks

Comments

• careful
    careful Posts: 720
    I pour used stuff into a jar and re use it over and over. after a while the solids settle and the liquid can be drained off to a clean jar.
  • Paulj700
    Paulj700 Posts: 76
    Yes, I've been saving used cleaner in a plastic bottle. I had thought it was maybe beyond use as it looks like Guinness. I'll wait see if it settles out at all.

Cheers
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    Just use a rag and some GT85 as a solvent, wipe the chain with the rag. You'll then wonder why you ever bought the chain cleaning contraption.
  • wishitwasallflat
    wishitwasallflat Posts: 2,927
    dodgy wrote:
    Just use a rag and some GT85 as a solvent, wipe the chain with the rag. You'll then wonder why you ever bought the chain cleaning contraption.

This - I have accurate records of mileage of the last 9 chains I have used - five were cleaned with degreaser and a chain cleaner bath thing - four were only wiped with a rag sprayed with GT85 of WD40. Length was checked with a Park Tool checker and a metal ruler and all were discarded at 0.75.

It didn't make any difference to how long they lasted, smoothly they ran or noisy they were. Only diff was with the chain cleaner bath the chain looked lovely until I first rode it and with the rag I had a little more money and spare time to ride as it's cheaper and quicker!
  • schlepcycling
    schlepcycling Posts: 1,614
    careful wrote:
    I pour used stuff into a jar and re use it over and over. after a while the solids settle and the liquid can be drained off to a clean jar.
    ^^This
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • JayKosta
    JayKosta Posts: 635
    Use a paper coffee filter to remove the big bits for reuse.

Soak into newsprint paper and burn outdoors if in a safe location, and legal.

Else call your local trash disposal facility and ask.

Then wonder why you got involved with the product in the first place....

Jay Kosta
    Endwell NY USA
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    dodgy wrote:

This - I have accurate records of mileage of the last 9 chains I have used - five were cleaned with degreaser and a chain cleaner bath thing - four were only wiped with a rag sprayed with GT85 of WD40. Length was checked with a Park Tool checker and a metal ruler and all were discarded at 0.75.

It didn't make any difference to how long they lasted, smoothly they ran or noisy they were. Only diff was with the chain cleaner bath the chain looked lovely until I first rode it and with the rag I had a little more money and spare time to ride as it's cheaper and quicker!

The amount of people that I've told this who have insisted they need the 'proper chain cleaner'. Only time it ever sinks in is if you do a demonstration of the rag method. You can almost hear the penny drop.
  • wishitwasallflat
    wishitwasallflat Posts: 2,927
    Very true glad I picked up the knowledge on here!
  • mattsccm
    mattsccm Posts: 409
    Anything oily is best chucked on the firewood pile!