The London Ditchling Devil, Sunday, 8th June 2014

manotea
manotea Posts: 1,024
Our 4th edition of the London Ditchling Devil 200km (125 miles) Audax is on Sunday June 8th, a romp from Wimbledon Common down through the Surrey and Sussex countryside to Ditchling Beacon & The Devils Dyke, then back via the Surrey Hills to finish at Roehampton Gate Cafe, Richmond Park. Perfect!

We've got a great rolling route and food stops every 50km for for elevenses, lunch and tea. It's not flat but not officially hilly either, and generally fixer friendly for those who like that sort of thing (~70" should see you round fine). Fast types get round in about 8 hours, the rest of us take 10~12hrs, but it's not a race, so you can take your time.

As always, the secret of riding longer distances is to take it easy, pace yourself and enjoy the ride. You'll have plenty of time and the next rest stop is never that far away. Full details including online entry, route sheet and gps track can be found at events.paudax.com along with reviews and feedback from last years event

Enter on-line - £12 for AUK/CTC members, £14 others Clicky

Riding down to the coast and back is always a blast, a classic day out for London Cyclists.

LDD2014.jpg
"Put the kettle on, I\'m gaspin"

Comments

• goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Awesome might just join that.
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,324
    The start and finish are close enough to home that I think that could be achievable. I wanted to do some longer rides this year so might give that a go.
  • goonz
    Same here. London start and finish is good for me.
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    It's a great ride. Some lumps and bumps, but some good flatter sections as well. You'll be well looked after with tea and cake for sure.

A grand day out.

I'll be there in some capacity - possibly stamping your cards at one of the controls.
  • bikergirl17
    bikergirl17 Posts: 344
    It really is a fabulous fun day out, all riders friendly & supportative ... I think some people may do it for time but that's missing the point IMHO.

Was my first 200 km too & teaches you that eating regularly is key -- I tend to ride 100 km without stops (I was in a fugue state by Combe Bottom). And highly recommend using a GPS if you're directionally challenged with cue sheets (as I was & got very very lost).
  • goonz
    So are audax's not sign posted?
  • marcusjb
    goonz wrote:
    So are audax's not sign posted?

Not at all.

Traditionally, you would navigate with a route sheet. But this has largely been overtaken with GPS usage for navigation.

There will be downloads for the GPS files if you use one. Or you print out the routesheet and cobble together a holder for your handlebars, or put it in a plastic bag and put it into your back pocket and refer to it (and memorise the next 2-3 instructions). Or hang onto other's wheels!

You will receive a Brevet Card at the start. This will have various stamps to be collected at the controls to show you have passed that point. When you arrive at each village hall control, your card will be stamped and you can then go and have a cup of tea and a cake.

It all sounds complex, but it isn't. There'll be a large field with many seasoned Audaxers and plenty of first-timers.

200km is a fair old distance, but the relaxed cut-off (you have around 13.5 hours to complete the ride) means that it is very achievable for anyone with a bit of fitness and a good mental outlook. There are some lumps on the ride (Turners Hill, Ditchling Beacon, Devil's Dyke and Combe Lane are the headliners), but equally some fairly flat terrain. It's a great route and it's an easy story to tell your mates ("rode down to Brighton, rode back").
  • goonz
    I've done Brighton numerous times but never had the courage to tackle the return too. This may be my chance but I'm hopeless at navigation so will have to make a few friends at the start if I go! :)

Otherwise I'll probably end up on the motorway like I have in the past on a previous ride to Brighton and in France!
  • marcusjb
    If you end up in France, you've really ****ed up!

(Every cycle tour in France has to end up with at least one little excursion on the motorway. I think it is in the rules)

You will be fine - especially if you use gps.

If not, stick with the bunch! But do make sure you have a copy of the routesheet in your backpocket just in case things start to go wrong.
  • goonz
    Thanks you think anyone will be doing it on fixed gear or mostly road bikes?
  • marcusjb
    There are usually a handful of fixed wheel riders on every Audax. I know a few who are likely to be riding this on fixed.
  • goonz
    interesting....decision to make.
  • bikergirl17
    Def use a gps if you tend to get lost. I started out w a lot of people and somehow ended up on my own. I actually don't have a working bike gps (other than my phone -- but that was useless as I thought I was in ditching and wasn't so no wonder I couldn't find the roads on the cue sheet!). This year I will plot out the route on maps & take those.
  • manotea
    I ride fixed .... in fact I've never ridden this route on gears!

Climbing Ditchling Beacon on fixed the first time is a bit of a triumph. The thing to remember when it comes to climbing on fixed (unless you are superlight/fit, which I am not), is that its really about technique. The trick is to pace yourelf through the climb, taking it slow at first and aim to keep your breathing/heart rate under control so you don't 'blow up'.

On the navigation front, last year about 1/3 used GPS, 1/3 used the routesheet and the rest tagged along with buddies, which is fair enough. Audax encourages riders to be independent theres no point being dogmatic about these things. If you do tag along though it pays to keep an eye on the routesheet just in case you do end up on your own!
  • Simon-R7
    Simon-R7 Posts: 59
    I have entered this, really looking forward to it. lets hope we have some decent weather :D
  • menthel
    menthel Posts: 2,484
    Going to be on this one too- looking forward to it! Good to see some commuters planning on it too...
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • goonz
    You want to do it fixed menthel?
  • menthel
    goonz wrote:
    You want to do it fixed menthel?

Nope! I have never ridden fixed- I value my knees! ;)
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • manotea
    Roll up, rollup - almost time to order brevet cards!
  • veronese68
    Got the email with all the details last night. Need to work out how to upload the route onto the Garmin now. Hope the weather improves by then.
  • menthel
    Looking forward to this, should be a good ride. I will see if I can bring the NY weather with me.
    RIP commute...
  • goonz
    Need to apply, really hope it doesnt pour. Forecast for this weekends King of the Downs is looking like a washout. :(
  • d_o_g
    d_o_g Posts: 286
    Def use a gps if you tend to get lost. I started out w a lot of people and somehow ended up on my own. I actually don't have a working bike gps (other than my phone -- but that was useless as I thought I was in ditching and wasn't so no wonder I couldn't find the roads on the cue sheet!). This year I will plot out the route on maps & take those.

Route sheet, handlebar mount (bit of wood/plastic sheet & zip ties) and Google streetview. Run through the route on streetview before you do it, so turnings are familiar. Maps are difficult to read, cue sheets aren't, and a couple of hours (maybe 3 ;)) on the computer going through the route is excellent time spent.

I don't ever use GPS, but I do prepare properly, and have never become irretrievably lost.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    Looking forward to this as its my first formal Audax. have done LBL (london to brighton to london) a few times. I'm looking forward to a more relaxed version this sunday! got around 10 club mates going along as well, so should be good!
  • Simon-R7
    Simon-R7 Posts: 59
    I did this yesterday and rally enjoyed myself. it was a great route, well organised food stops and cracking weather.
  • marcusjb
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pE-Nd946364

Little video from the signing on.

A great turn out on a fabulous day. I had a great time stamping cards at the 150km control.

Well done all the riders!
  • veronese68
    Yes, it was very good day, although I am rather sore. That's easily the furthest I've ridden in a day. Thank you to all the organisers and providers of food.
  • bikergirl17
    It was a fabulous day out, buoyed by the weather & the other riders. And the volunteers at the various stops and in bleeding (seriously can't get over this couple allowing us to trample through their beautifully white carpeted house) were awesome.

And we formed some excellent pace lines, so I shaved more than 2 hours off my time even with leisurely long stops (that said last year was such a debacle it's a wonder I got back before sunrise).

Huge thanks to Paul the organiser if he reads this. It leaves most of the for profit sportives in the dust ... perhaps the lack of a timing chip makes people friendlier? Wish every ride was that much fun.