Boasson Hagen to BMC

Key
Key Posts: 464
edited May 2014 in Pro race
"- As I see it, there is agreement on a deal that sends him to the BMC, said cycling writer Richard Moore in The Cycling Podcast this week. "

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=no&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=no&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.procycling.no%2Fboasson-hagen-er-enig-med-bmc%2F&edit-text=&act=url

Comments

• frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    This sort of information should not be available or mentioned until much later in the season. Teams shouldnt approach riders like this until much later too.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    This sort of information should not be available or mentioned until much later in the season. Teams shouldnt approach riders like this until much later too.

It certainly causes issues.

You want early? Lefevere approached Rigo Uran during the 2012 Giro, about moving to OPQS.

Rigo still had 19 months left on his Sky contract.

(before anyone shouts, yes, I know Sky went after Wiggins and Swift and bought them out of their respective contracts early)
  • Key
    Key Posts: 464
    Do you think this is why his not riding the Tour de France?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Key wrote:
    Do you think this is why his not riding the Tour de France?
    Partly, but I think he probably would have missed out regardless
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Richmond Racer
    EBH's lot are denying it, say they've just exchanged a few emails with BMC

To paraphrase Mandy Rice-Davis (a decent rouleur) "they would say that, wouldnt they"
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Well that certainly spells the end of Eddy as a contender. BMC where talent goes to die.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    Not sure I like this news, tbh. Much as I don't like seeing EBH spending his career in the service of others, he's obviously happy provided the money is right.

Would like to see him being given more of a leader's role, but not sure that BMC is really the best place for him. Obviously I say this without having met the guy.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    I don't see why it should cause too many issues, unless he is actually disaffected with Sky there is no reason he wouldn't put in as much effort as ever. I didn't know he wasn't riding the Tour and I admit I'm surprised, he's been a very strong domestique and I can't see why ordinarily he wouldn't be in the squad.

As for the move, I assume it's some combination of money and opportunities. No reason why it shouldn't be a good move for him, Sky hasn't exactly been a team where classics riders have prospered so it's not a step backwards in any way.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Well that certainly spells the end of Eddy as a contender. BMC where talent goes to die.
    That's not so true anymore, though.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Richmond Racer
    I don't see why it should cause too many issues, unless he is actually disaffected with Sky there is no reason he wouldn't put in as much effort as ever. I didn't know he wasn't riding the Tour and I admit I'm surprised, he's been a very strong domestique and I can't see why ordinarily he wouldn't be in the squad.

As for the move, I assume it's some combination of money and opportunities. No reason why it shouldn't be a good move for him, Sky hasn't exactly been a team where classics riders have prospered so it's not a step backwards in any way.

At BMC, he'll have to fit in with GVA and Golden Boy Phinney re next year's Classics
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229

At BMC, he'll have to fit in with GVA and Golden Boy Phinney re next year's Classics
    which means he won't be doing the classics, Tends to run out of steam at 210km. much better used as a stage hunter in the 1 week races and the tours when its applicable, if he hasn’t had his attacking instincts completely skybotted out of him. 2011 and the TDF spring to mind. Don’t think he’s necessarily a good domestique per se. then again the last 2 tours were won with him doing just that.

The lad needs to make his mind up. He’ll never do anything of note in the classics in my view.
  • Richmond Racer
    philbar72 wrote:

which means he won't be doing the classics, Tends to run out of steam at 210km. much better used as a stage hunter in the 1 week races and the tours when its applicable, if he hasn’t had his attacking instincts completely skybotted out of him. 2011 and the TDF spring to mind. Don’t think he’s necessarily a good domestique per se. then again the last 2 tours were won with him doing just that.

The lad needs to make his mind up. He’ll never do anything of note in the classics in my view.

So remind me, when he went and won Plouay in 2012...or silver in the Worlds RR (after 266km)...yes, Sky really have 'Sky-botted' him (ludicrous phrase, at the best of times)

Sometimes people project what they're adament is happening, rather than take into account any evidence that doesnt support that.

He was given every chance to do what he wanted in the Vuelta last year, especially once it was clear from very early on that firstly Henao, and then Uran, could do nothing on GC.

If he goes to the Tour next year with BMC, he'll be working his Norwegian butt off for Teabag
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    Exceptions rather than the rule RR... appreciate he did very well at the worlds but in terms of talent he should be stage hunting. He's that good. But he's not winning as much as he's capable of winning.... domestique de luxe? whatever he is, he's underperforming.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    RichN95 wrote:

While 'not so true' it is still a little bit true though.

Really it just sounded better in the present tense.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • Richmond Racer
    philbar72 wrote:
    Exceptions rather than the rule RR... appreciate he did very well at the worlds but in terms of talent he should be stage hunting. He's that good. But he's not winning as much as he's capable of winning.... domestique de luxe? whatever he is, he's underperforming.[/quote]

Based on the last 17 months - yes, he's been under-performing. But I think that's down to him - he has been given a lot of chances (more than people tend to think)
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    IMO he's not going anywhere unless Sky don't want him. EBH fits in really well with the other riders, and that seems to be more important to EBH than to most riders.

Does anyone know whether that supposed clause in his contract that he always has a Norwegian teammate was true or not?
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Sometimes people project what they're adament is happening, rather than take into account any evidence that doesnt support that.

Not just sometimes, some people are doing it most the time!
  • Richmond Racer
    Turfle wrote:
    IMO he's not going anywhere unless Sky don't want him. EBH fits in really well with the other riders, and that seems to be more important to EBH than to most riders.

Does anyone know whether that supposed clause in his contract that he always has a Norwegian teammate was true or not?

I think that's an urban myth!
  • Richmond Racer
    Turfle wrote:

delete - dupe
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    1) He's not underperforming. He performs pretty well, but the reality is he's basically Simon Gerrans without the smarts.

2) He'll do well at BMC with Piva and Peiper I suspect

3) He would've had much the same career if he'd gone to Garmin or any other team instead of Sky.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I'd love to see him at Garmin, he'd get the chances there.
  • Richmond Racer
    sjmclean wrote:

Several reasons why it wouldnt happen

$
    $
    and
    $
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    sjmclean wrote:

So you're the leader for multiple classics and you're "not getting chances"?
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    iainf72 wrote:
    1) He's not underperforming. He performs pretty well, but the reality is he's basically Simon Gerrans without the smarts.

This. In a round about way. He's an ok sprinter, he's an ok puncheur and he's an ok classics rider. He may become a better, more focused rider in the future but at the moment he's not particularly underperforming.
  • Anonymous
    iainf72 wrote:
    sjmclean wrote:

He doesn't have the classics in him, he seems to fade over 200km, he should be targetting bumpy stages in the GT's, so no I don't think he is getting chances.

It be like saying goalkeeper is getting a chance by playing at left back.
  • Richmond Racer
    sjmclean wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    sjmclean wrote:

He doesn't have the classics in him, he seems to fade over 200km, he should be targetting bumpy stages in the GT's, so no I don't think he is getting chances.

He was given chances to do that in the Vuelta last year
  • Anonymous
    sjmclean wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    sjmclean wrote:

After haven broken his shoulder a month before.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,325
    RichN95 wrote:

You mean it's where talent went yesterdie?

(Yes, yes - I'll go and sit quietly in the corner whilst I think about what I've just done...)
  • Richmond Racer
    sjmclean wrote:
    sjmclean wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    sjmclean wrote:

After haven broken his shoulder a month before.

And still managed to come extremely close to a win only to be pipped by Gilbert. Fact is he was given chances in a GT last year to go for stages.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Can only really count on him if it's bad weather tbh.