TumbleDryer

Pufftmw
Pufftmw Posts: 1,941
edited May 2014 in Commuting chat
Other than shoes, what would be the downside of getting a cheap tumble dryer off of eBay (or other auction/selling site) to dry your wet gear at the office? Guess I'm referring to clothing care more than the issue of space/office as that is not a problem for me.

I used to have a server room but we're cloud based now...

Comments

• goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Just get a small oil rad or something you can leave under your desk?
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • Cheap tumble-dries usually require venting, you may have access to ventilation shafts, but its worth checking. Other than that it's probably a good thing. We have a shoe-drier in our changing room and a washing line, but no tumble drier.
  • Our office manager would have a heart attack.....a tumble dryer....she's a right old busy body and twisting on about housekeeping. In our cycling room she once complained of wet items drying in the contained room being unsightly....she expected us to place wet items directly into our lockers on a morning....the mentalist!
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    what they say above.

After last nights soaking I stripped off everything as soon as i got home and it went straight in the washing machine including my cycling shoes! (top tip, put them inside a pillow case or cushion cover or something to prevent them damaging the machine or vice versa).

Then the same lot went into the tumble dryer and so I had nice fresh dry kit this morning
    FCN = 4
  • Worth mentioning, though, that the temperatures used (especially by cheap tumble-driers) may be too high for sports kit.
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    If you have space for a tumble dryer, do you have a suitable space for a drying rack? With the exception of shoes, modern cycling kit should have no trouble drying out over the course of the day if the air can get to it. I just leave mine draped over my bike (lucky enough to have indoor parking) and never had an issue with wet kit at home time.
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
  • Feltup
    Feltup Posts: 1,340
    You could get a dehumidifier. Mine has a laundry mode, just stick it in front of the drying rack.
    Short hairy legged roadie FCN 4 or 5 in my baggies.

Felt F55 - 2007
    Specialized Singlecross - 2008
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
    Peugeot Tourmalet - 1983 - taken more hits than Mohammed Ali
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Errr, I just hang stuff off the back of my chair and edge of the desk/pedestal, then open the window. Seems to work.

Not the most professional looking, but I do have my own office.....or maybe that's why I have my own office? :wink:
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • anthdci
    anthdci Posts: 543
    all my lycra cycling gear say not to tumble dry them. I always hang them on hangers near my desk and unless they are totally soaked through then they are dry by the time I come to leave work.
  • LiveGiantly
    LiveGiantly Posts: 348
    anthdci wrote:
    all my lycra cycling gear say not to tumble dry them. I always hang them on hangers near my desk and unless they are totally soaked through then they are dry by the time I come to leave work.

+1

Also in my workplace they have turnt off the blow heaters/heating vents as they now feel that its summer (until the days become consecutively hot for weeks and months then it's not summer!!) yesterday I had to dry my SOAKED THROUGH clothes in the toilet using the hand dryer...
    I ride with God on my mind and power in my thighs....WOE betide you!
    I know I'm not the fastest rider on earth BUT I KNOW I AM NOT the slowest!!!
    If you Jump Red Lights in order to stay ahead you are a DISGRACE!!
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    anthdci wrote:

+1

Also in my workplace they have turnt off the blow heaters/heating vents as they now feel that its summer (until the days become consecutively hot for weeks and months then it's not summer!!) yesterday I had to dry my SOAKED THROUGH clothes in the toilet using the hand dryer...
    We have the Dyson ones here, they're great for drying clothes!
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • I bought one of these and never looked back! Not sure how your HSE would view it though.

Dries everything for handy central hangers for shoes and gloves then just hook everything up stick my helmet on top and come back to lovely warm clothes

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/p ... :c|adp:1o1