Wheel building question

bailsofhay
bailsofhay Posts: 191
edited May 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all,
I have been wanting to try my hand at building a wheel so in a last second impulse buy on ebay I got a refurbished 07 Mavic crossmax sl front hub for super cheap. After reading some of their tech sheets I am slightly confused, do I need to use the proprietary mavic spokes or can I use any correct length straight pull spokes so long as the nipple interface is correct for the rim ( which I don't have as of yet)? A mate who builds motorcycle wheels is giving me a hand with the actual build so long as I source the correct parts I am just a bit worried if I am limited to proprietary mavic parts this may become too expensive(and the wife will kill me) for me to justify as a first attempt.
Cheers

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Yes you are. You bought the wrong hub.
  • bailsofhay
    I guess there is a reason I got it for £6.50 . I don't mind putting a bit into it (around £60 give or take) so do you by chance know where I can get a full spoke set from? I have only seen individual ones but they want £3.50 a spoke which would consign this to resale or the parts box in my shed.
  • ricardo_smooth
    ricardo_smooth Posts: 1,281
    Contact just riding along in sheffield. They'll be able to supply the parts
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Complete waste of time - you'll have to get a Crossmax SLR rim, which is about £120, then spokes are about £3 each, and you'll need 48 IIRC, if you can even get hold of them. Bitch of a first build too.

JRA will be of no real help, they'll be ordering parts from Mavic. Sell the hub and try again.
  • bailsofhay
    Yeah I came to that conclusion after a bit more research today, its so much more trouble than I want. Gonna sell it and start with a cheapo build.
    Good old impulse buying, cheers for the advise/ suggestions though.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Just buy a cheap wheel. Unbuild it and then rebuild as practice. Nothing you need to use.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I have a sealed Quando front hub you can have cheap if you want, 32H, used but perfectly useable, a bit heavy, decent bearings, stnd 9mm QR.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • bailsofhay
    Hi Rookie, thanks for the offer but I went to the dump over the weekend and found a wheel with some missing spokes for £1, even had a shimano hub so once I get some spokes I'm away (probably after lots of swearing and wondering where I went wrong).
  • The Rookie
    Nice find, my daughter got me a rear wheel with Shimano M475 hub, Equalizer 21 rim and just 2 missing spokes for £4 once, OK I've now replaced nearly 50% of the spokes but have an old formula front wheel with the same size spokes and shot axle that is donating them!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • bailsofhay
    Yeah, There always seems to be something going there which I recon would be good for spares I just wish the wife would agree. For some reason she doesn't want our sheds to be solely for half junk bike bits, personally I don't see where shes coming from.
  • The Rookie
    bailsofhay wrote:
    half junk bike bits.
    Sorry, I don't understand that description, as there is no such thing (they are all useable) then then shed can't be half filled with them!

OK so I'm lucky and have a 6x4 and an 8x6 shed just for bikes/bike bits (and some in the greenhouse and garage!)
  • bailsofhay
    Nice bit of logic, I may have to try that line on her. Might be a hard sell as she has visions of our 9x9 being some sort of summer house in the future, at the moment it's a winter retreat for the bikes.
  • danchandler
    danchandler Posts: 63
    Just buy a cheap wheel. Unbuild it and then rebuild as practice. Nothing you need to use.
    That's how I learnt to do it. I thought the sheldon brown guide was a bit over complicated, one of the lads on the trials forum did a 'how to' thread with lots of pictures and it just seemed easier to follow.
    2011 carrera fury
    2012 20" onza genesis trials bike
    2014 carrera virtuoso road bike