Best packable, lightweight and breathable rain jacket?

menthel
menthel Posts: 2,484
edited May 2014 in Commuting chat
Yesterday by pearl Izumi jacket got overwhelmed on the way home. It's mainly a light wind proof and water resistant jacket so the torrential stuff yesterday defeated it. So what out there would actually have kept me dry?

Rapha rain jacket? Castelli pocket liner? What else? Would be used for commuting and longer cycles where necessary. I have gabbas for when I know it's going to rain and am happy with the pearl Izumi for emergency windy/drizzle but want something I can have in a pocket when heavier stuff is possible.
RIP commute...
Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.

Comments

• goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Rapha Hardshell but you will boil in a bag so will be wet anyway. Castelli Gabba as I had on in last nights torrent works very effectively and is basically a jersey and jacket in one. Kept me fairly warm and reasonably dry although it even soaked pretty bad.

In my experience depending how much you sweat, a windproof is better than a rain proof as you simply sweat buckets. I use the rapha city wind jacket which is surprisingly water resistant and if you keep what you have proofed with nikwak etc then you shouldnt have a massive issue.

I've also heard the Castelli pocket liner is supposed to be very good too but is also very expensive.
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • menthel
    Thanks- I already have a LS and SS gabba and use them when I know its going to be raining. To be honest I should have done yesterday but my hangover stopped me from thinking.

My one of these:
    http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-t ... earzjac213

is perfectly good in light rain and for keeping warm if the weather turns but is no good in a heavy downpour, hence the rain jacket/pocket liner question. Anyone use one of those? Or have something similar that will handle heavy rain like yesterdays?
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • menthel
    RIP commute...
  • goonz
    I've read on the other forum even the rapha rain jacket cannot cope with heavy downpours.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    edited May 2014
    goonz wrote:
    I've read on the other forum even the rapha rain jacket cannot cope with heavy downpours.
    I've heard the rapha jackets are rubbish and that sky don't use them due to them being rubbish, but rather use another make, with the logos removed/covered.

Could be bollox though?
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    I think jackets are useless, you just boil in them and get wet anyway. Getting wet isn't the issue so much as keeping warm.

I prefer to wear a gilet that keeps the worst off my torso, while still allowing my upper half to breath. Arms get a bit wet but I've never got really cold.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • goonz
    elbowloh wrote:
    goonz wrote:
    I've heard the rapha jackets are rubbish and that sky don't use them due to them being rubbish, but rather use another make, with the logos removed/covered.

Could be bollox though?

No its true. They use the Castelli Gabba and it really is worth throwing everything else away for.

Not only Sky but in a few races last year it was common knowledge that pretty much the whole peloton was wearing the gabba with logos removed.

They have released a limited edition version which comes in a box with quotes form pro riders and a permanent marker pen as a spoof based on this very thing.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969
    In my experience the Gabba is perfect for when it is cool but we are getting to the stage when it is too warm.

Of all the jackets I have used in the summer the choice seems to be; get wet from the rain, or wet from sweat. I have settled on a wind proof to keep light showers at bay but breathable.

I shall keep an eye on here for someone supplying the answer to nirvana.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    PBlakeney wrote:
    In my experience the Gabba is perfect for when it is cool but we are getting to the stage when it is too warm.

Of all the jackets I have used in the summer the choice seems to be; get wet from the rain, or wet from sweat. I have settled on a wind proof to keep light showers at bay but breathable.

I just did...its called a gilet ;-)
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • menthel
    I have ordered on the the pearl izumi jackets in to the Evans local to work as it was down to £79.99. Will give it a look over and go from there.
    RIP commute...
  • pblakeney
    drlodge wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:

I just did...its called a gilet ;-)
    A gilet is possibly the best current solution but it is not perfect as your arms will get wet and/or cool.
    Possibly the best, but not nirvana.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • goonz
    Use merino arm warmers, will keep you warm even when wet.
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    No-one mentioned the Sportful Hotpack?
  • ctc
    ctc Posts: 232
    +1 for the gilet. I also find all jackets boil in the bag, and I've tried a few...

If it's heavy rain I don't go out, unless I'm commuting back, and then I have a windproof that keeps enough off for me to get home.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I don't believe ANY jacket is (can be) breathable when it's covered in water.

The Rapha CITY rain jacket is very good at keeping you dry but is too flappy for road riding. I use the Assos transparent thing to help me stay warm if the heavens open. It's got lots of breathing panels where the rain will be least likely to hit so it doesn't boil me. The downside is that it doesn't make a great jacket for staying warm whilst fixing a flat. A friend uses the Assos SturmPrinz and adores it (he got the knickers too) but you're looking at over £500 for the pair.

Just MTFU and get wet :wink: Your skin is lightweight, waterproof and breathable!
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    There are two schools of thought

1) Water proofs do not work for keeping you dry. Either they leak/ let water pass through or are so impervious that you get wet from sweat from the inside out

2) Breathable water proofs do actually work. They can block water from the outside but let out excessive sweat

If you are a cheapskate then 1) is definitely true. I have tried many water proof coats and none that were less than £100 worked

If you are really going for it and if it is raining properly then you are going to be damp. There is no system for pumping water away from your core into an already wet atmosphere. So the best option in this case is to just get wet and try and stay warm. Gilets and warm warmers are good for this. This style of clothing also works for dry and cold; it's cheap and it's lightweight: so it's popular.

The other approach is to ride at a lower rate of work and have a good breathable coat. Gore Bikewear, Showers Pass, anything made of eVent and Paramo have all been good for me. Be careful not to get a hill walking insulated coat, do try and get a high energy activity or cycling specific coat.

Despite what I've said above. A cheap coat can be useful. On a short ride, in light rain and lower rates of work: like many commutes.
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    Where are the audaxers to mention a rain cape?
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Castelli Muur. Pop a Gabba underneath for really wet days!
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Bin bag, with a few holes cut in it. Cheap, totally waterproof, gillet style construction and if you get the holes right, breathable too.

Next problem ?

;):D
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • menthel
    Picked up the pearl Izumi, seems comfy and light and looks more waterproof than the light jacket. Will have to wait for a wet day!
    RIP commute...
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    There is no system for pumping water away from your core into an already wet atmosphere. So the best option in this case is to just get wet and try and stay warm.

oooh! what's that branch of science called, biomimicry?

How about a jacket coated with glucose. The rain on the outside dissolves the sugar, and the water is pulled away from the core throught the mebrane via osmosis!!!

although the concentrations of salt in the sweat may cause problems, as I guess this sets up a conc gradient in the wrong direction.

Maybe a salt/sugar spray that you reapply before going out? Then, if you bonk or get cramp, you can just lick the jacket also.....

Next, more complicated, we would need some energy source for active transport hmmmmm
  • bigmitch41
    bigmitch41 Posts: 685
    My Endura Helium ticks all the box's, lightweight, breathable and gets great reviews. kept in its own stuff sak in the bottom of my pack until its needed, big thumbs up from me!
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • menthel
    Well the pearl izumi fared absolutely fine this morning. Waterproof and not particuarly boil in the bag. Seems perfect for the commute and cheaper than the other options I would have gone for. And the shade of blue is rather fetching too!

Longer rides and audaxes will almost certainly see me deploying wet and warm tactics as I have before though, I think. Stick a gabba on the top and let the rest look after itself.
    RIP commute...
  • goonz
    Had my gabba this morning. Does the gabba need reproofing at all?

Water doesnt bead off at all but seems to soak in. Doesnt get soaked but does definitely get damp. Is that right?
  • menthel
    goonz wrote:

Water doesnt bead off at all but seems to soak in. Doesnt get soaked but does definitely get damp. Is that right?

Don't think you are supposed to reproof. I think you are supposed to use a cool iron or cool tumbledry to refresh its waterproof abilities. I have not done mine yet so perhaps someone who has can confirm.
    RIP commute...
  • pblakeney
    There is a whole thread on the Gabba here - viewtopic.php?f=40042&t=12939097&p=18637633&hilit=GABBA#p18637633

If I recall correctly then there should be some info in there.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • indyp
    indyp Posts: 735
    The MCipollini light-weight wind jacket is awesome and weighs just 63g! It's only shower proof though but great to pull out when needed then stored in back pocket/rucksack.....and as it happens, there's one for sale in classifieds which is suitable for someone with approx 43" chest :mrgreen:
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    goonz wrote:

Water beads off mine, but then it hasn't been washed yet. I also have a Sportful No Rain Fiandre jkt which stopped beading after a couple of washes. Sportful's UK distributor offered to replace, but suggested / recommended using Grangers XT Proofer spray after washing.
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Yep the gabba will need retreating after a couple of washes
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    First outing for the sportful hot pack 5, not bad actually for the money a tad sweaty by the end but definitely fine for commuting.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.