Gilet or Under Layer

Churchill123
Churchill123 Posts: 341
edited May 2014 in Road beginners
So... I currently wear and under layer when it's a tad nippy which keeps me warm..

However i wondered whether it's worth buying a gilet or not? - for those days when it's too warm for a long sleeve under layer but not warm enough for just a short sleeve jersey?

Would i be better off spending my money on a good merino long sleeve under layer or a decent gilet is my question really..

Any feed back greatly appreciated.

Comments

• edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    doesn't have to be an expensive base layer, I use aldi base layer and ss jersey, have some merino ones from planet x that are spot on also

Gilets are good but they need to be a good fit otherwise they are a bit rubbish however they are a lot warmer than you'd think, I've gone through a lot of the mancunian winter in baselayer, SS and a shell gilet
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • lancew
    lancew Posts: 680
    I got that Scott Gilet that came up in the bargain section, and I think its excellent.

A base layer is better for less of a jump in temperature, but the gilet made a real difference especially as its wind and water resistant.
    Specialized Allez Sport 2013
  • prhymeate
    prhymeate Posts: 795
    I think a gilet is a great investment, it's always nice to have on those days where you aren't quite sure what to wear as it easily packs away and when zipped up it really helps to keep your core warm and in turn your overall body. Personally I only ever wear my merino long sleeve in the winter and if it's cold enough for that then I'm usually wearing the gilet too. The gilet can be good for almost any time of year though from my experience, especially when cycling after work in the summer when the sun starts to drop.
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    Lightweight gilet, probably one of the best pieces of clothing at this time of year.
    You can't remove a base layer but as soon as you get warm the gilet comes off and put in my jersey pocket, if it does turn chilly or you get a bit of drizzle out it comes again.
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    A gilet versus a long sleeve base layer is a mismatch I'd say. They don't do the same job. The base layer will keep your torso warmer but it's biggest impact will be to protect your arms. The gilet does nothing for your arms but can work very well to keep your chest warm in wet and/or windy conditions.
    I'd suggest that you consider getting a gilet and arm warmers. This gives you the option to either cover your arms, protect your torso from wind/rain or both. Also unlike a baselayer you can easily remove either and stick them in your pocket as conditions change or if you've misjudged them.
  • fat_cat
    fat_cat Posts: 566
    Ai_1 wrote:
    A gilet versus a long sleeve base layer is a mismatch I'd say. They don't do the same job. The base layer will keep your torso warmer but it's biggest impact will be to protect your arms. The gilet does nothing for your arms but can work very well to keep your chest warm in wet and/or windy conditions.
    I'd suggest that you consider getting a gilet and arm warmers. This gives you the option to either cover your arms, protect your torso from wind/rain or both. Also unlike a baselayer you can easily remove either and stick them in your pocket as conditions change or if you've misjudged them.

^
    This.

Gillet and Arm Warmers ideal for this time of the year, particularly early mornings / late evenings, easy to take off / put back on as required.
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Another vote for gilet and arm warmers. Just about the most versatile setup you can have for riding in changeable conditions, especially as we approach summer where you might setoff in cooler conditions (or be riding as the sun starts to go down). Both roll up tight and fit in a back pocket.

Gilets are very useful, I can still feel cold in even reasonably warm conditions, and a gilet really helps keep me warm. I am not bothered about having my arms exposed and wear my arm warmers less, but a draft onto my chest can really keep me too cold.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    +1 for a water and wind "resistant" gilet. A very flexible piece of kit and should fold up really small to tuck into your back pocket.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • meth_tical
    meth_tical Posts: 67
    I try to pick up Gilets every time I see them at good prices. I can get through winter with a more miles tourmalet jersey (£20) and a good Gilet.
    Gilets are so versatile and handy for having the extra pockets if needed.
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,232
    As the Aldi specials are out this weekend, has anyone had any experience of their gillets in terms of quality?

Most of my gear is fairly hi spec and I don't want to wast money on one if it isn't up to scratch.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • socistep
    socistep Posts: 88
    at the moment for commutes I'm wearing short sleeve jersey/bibshorts then in the morning skullcap/arm warmers/gilet depending on weather, they end up going in the pockets for the journey back

Gilet incredibly useful, however on longer rides I struggle to get into back pockets to get gels/food, I probably need a better Gilet :-D
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    socistep wrote:
    at the moment for commutes I'm wearing short sleeve jersey/bibshorts then in the morning skullcap/arm warmers/gilet depending on weather, they end up going in the pockets for the journey back

Gilet incredibly useful, however on longer rides I struggle to get into back pockets to get gels/food, I probably need a better Gilet :-D
    You need a pocket plan! :wink:
    I always put my phone and keys in the middle pocket then stuff any clothes (windstopper/gillet, armwarmers) on top. Keeps the keys from bouncing around and you won't need them til you get home anyway. Food goes in the outer pockets (assuming you have 3). I always have enough space although I do sometimes mount a bento box for long sportives just for convenience.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I love my gilets.

I have an aldi gilet I picked up for a fiver years ago - I still use it today. Works well.

I think the gilets on offer this week are more like their race cape material - I'm sure they will keep the wind off you and be pretty breathable - plus pack up very small in a back pocket.

I agree that a gilet and armwarmer will get you through at least half the year. Especially if you're doing long rides - you start off and its cool so you need extra protection - but a jacket will be too warm.

PX do a nice race fit gilet in their range and I'd get some of the prendas wooly armwarmers - great value and dont go baggy. And always black for the armwarmers.
  • Churchill123
    Churchill123 Posts: 341
    amazing response - cheers guys..

Gilet will be being purchased this weekend
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    Fat Cat wrote:
    Gillet and Arm Warmers ideal for this time of the year, particularly early mornings / late evenings, easy to take off / put back on as required.

This. A combination of gilet and water resistant arm warmers is my preferred ensemble for anything other than a downpour. Very comfortable and adaptable.
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I just wear two jerseys. and arm warmers. It means going up hill you can unzip the outer one to be cool, then sit up at the end and rezip it.

Underlayer on as well. Nike vest.