Focus or Cannondale

tartanmartin
tartanmartin Posts: 90
edited May 2014 in Road buying advice
I'm considering getting a summer bike for some sportives I have coming up. My LBS is a Cannondale / Focus dealer and I've shortlisted it to:

CAAD10 105 - £1500
Synapse Carbon 5 105 - £1850
Supersix Evo 105 - £1699
Focus Cayo Evo 4 - £1440 (Sale)

Obviously I need to give them a try but what are your thoughts on the selection?

The Focus has the benefit of being well discounted and Ultegra. I've got a Cannondale CAAD 8 as my daily hack and would like something that feels a bit more 'special' and faster.

Comments

• DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,043
    I have a cayo evo and I've ridden a Supersix Evo. If you are looking for something racy then I'd say the Cannondale Supersix is probably the one to go for - it has a more aggressive position and I found it sharper than the Focus. It does depend if the geometry suits you though - for me it didn't quite work without a stack of spacers which might have changed the character somewhat and looked shit. The Synapse is unlikely to be more racy and the CAAD10 is maybe a poor mans Supersix, or else just as good for less money depending on your point of view - I've never ridden one but a decent racer I know loves his.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • As DV says, the Synapse has a longer headtube and will offer a more relaxed set up than the other 3.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • nawty
    nawty Posts: 225
    I ride a CAAD10 and recently saw the Synapse Carbon in the LBS and, for the first time ever, had bike envy!

The new Synapse is meant to be amazing, the Cannondale Pro team ride them, fast but comfy and perfect for sportives.
    Cannondale CAAD 10 Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight Tiagra
  • The Synapse looks great and has reviewed very well. Infact the three carbon bikes have reviewed as 4.5 so not much between them.

Is the Supersix likely to be similar to my CAAD 8 in terms of position?

Do the others offer any significant improvement over the Focus to justify the extra £400?
  • kevinr24
    kevinr24 Posts: 12
    I've just upgraded from an Allez. Got my new Synapse Ultegra this weekend. The ride is incredible - smooth, cushioned on the rough stuff and rapid and the 105 version will no doubt be similar. I did a 40-mile ride on it and wasn't beaten up like I was by the Specialized so I'm expecting longer rides will be the same. One LBS said the Synapse has 95% of the performance of the Super 6 Evo with all that added comfort. Pictures of my Synapse are on my blog - http://richardsonkevin.wordpress.com
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Would have thought having a CAAD 8 would make the choice between the Cannondales easy (depending on what you want from it over what you have now).
    Then compare that one bike to the Focus.

Would be either the SuperSix Evo or the Synapse for me as I perceive them to be about the best in their class.
    Just depends if you want it racier or comfier.

The Synapse will get a lot of people trading in their specialized and Giants now that it has won bike of the year.
  • Miles253
    Miles253 Posts: 535
    I've looked at similar bikes to you, as you have a CAAD8, unless you are crit racing, I would say steer clear of the Caad10. It's another alluminium bike, albeit a top of the range one, and excellent for the money, but it's not going to be anywhere near as comfortable as any of the carbon bikes. For the money, the Focus is a good deal, and they also review very well actually. They are also a little bit more on the racy side, not as much as a Cannondale SS but racier than the Synapse. Depending on the flexibility of your budget, it would be between the Synapse and the Focus for me. Focus will give you room for upgrades too.
    Canyon Roadlite AL-Shamal Wheels-Centaur/Veloce Group
    Canyon Ult CF SL- Spin Koppenberg-Ultegra group