sram x7 shifters don't feel right

Herdwick29.
Herdwick29. Posts: 58
edited May 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Had a ride today with my mate and exchanged bikes, his is equipped with sram X7 shifters and from the first couple of shifts it looked the damn thing was to stiff when pressed to upshift, and as it climbs up the cassestte it gets stiffer, the front one needs a whole movement of your wrist to get it move enough to shift, as opposed with shimanos that a movement of your thumb gets the job done.
Is this normal? fixable? or straight to the bin?

At a point he told me, that my saint shifter is the best he ever tried so far,
and I replied, yep, me too :mrgreen:

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    When was it last serviced?

Change the cables.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Herdwick29.
    Don't have a clue, but he said always was like that so he consider it to be the normal. I will ask him to check the cables though and see what happens. thanks!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I have the older X7, my sone the later x9, neither are like that, I doubt it's cables or it wouldn't shift back on the return spring....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Herdwick29.
    Rookie, the thing is when upshifting ie going to the smallest cog it works perfect, crisp as it should with no chain jumping back and forth on the cogs or any other weird stuff
  • The Rookie
    Indeed, so not as likely to be cables!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie
    Can honestly say I've never had that issue at all, that the cable is tight one way only, and 3 of my 4 bikes use a BB routed cable.