11speed hub + 10speed cassette

dee4life2005
dee4life2005 Posts: 773
edited May 2014 in Workshop
Just bought a set of Fulcrum Racing 3's with a 10/11sp shimano hub. I have a 10speed group set and will be fitting a 10speed ultegra cassette to these wheels.

The wheels come with a spacer (1.8mm i think) to use with a 10speed cassette, which is fine, but the cassette also comes with a thinner spacer (1mm i think). The literature that came with the wheels say I need the fulcrum spacer to fit a 10 speed cassette, but do I also need to fit the spacer that comes with the 10speed cassette ... or do I only need that when fitting that cassette to an 8/9/10sp freehub?

Thanks.

P.S. I could give it a try, but I only have one shot at it at the moment as I cant find my chain whip so couldn't take it off again if I get it wrong ... hence why I'm asking :-)

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Both spacers are needed.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • hypster
    hypster Posts: 1,229
    The 1.85mm spacer converts 11-speed to 9/10-speed. A 10-speed cassette is actually narrower than 9-speed so you need the 1.0mm spacer when using 10-speed.

However, on one of my frames if I use both spacers the chain just fouls the seat stay when in 10th gear so I leave the 1.0mm spacer off and adjust the dérailleur accordingly.