Ritchey torque settings

il sole
il sole Posts: 56
edited May 2014 in Workshop
Hi,
I've just treated myself to a Ritchey carbon seat post and saddle... :D
As it's my first ever carbon post, I thought i'd read the instructions carefully :? there is no mention of how tight the clamp should be. I normally tighten to 6Nm as this is what is marked on the clamp on my bike (a 2010 Wilier) also, the instructions mention using a 'liquid torque' product before inserting the post into the downtube. I don't have any of this, is it 100% necessary?? reading up about it, it appears to be some kind of extra friction producing gel...
Any other tips before I put all this together, or am I just over worrying??!

cheers
Wilier Zero.7 Chorus

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Carbon assembly or friction paste means you don't have to over-tighten parts to stop them slipping. You could try without but if it keeps slipping, paste is cheaper than over-tightening the clamp and cracking the seatpost.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • il sole
    il sole Posts: 56
    So would you advise me to get some of the friction stuff first rather than just see how I go without?? I presume this is only necessary for carbon posts in carbon frames as my old aluminium post didn't ever slip!
    Wilier Zero.7 Chorus
  • simonj
    simonj Posts: 346
    You can try without, just don't go over 5/6nm, if no good order some, or I'd order some anyway but try the bike in the mean time.