Giant Roam 2 or 3...?

tonyhumphreys
tonyhumphreys Posts: 6
edited May 2014 in Commuting general
So, I'm settling on one of these. From what I can see the only difference is the Roam 2 has disc brakes (not something I'll need as I am mainly on the road) and a 9 speed drive chain on the Roam 2 as opposed to a 3x8 speed one on the Roam 3. Everything else seem pretty much of a much apart from the £100 difference in price.

So before I sign up is there anything you guys would suggest I need to take into consideration?

Cheers,

Tony...

Comments

• Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    The Roam 2 is a great bike, my brother used one when we did a mixed on/off-road trek up the Pennines.

£100 isn't much to pay for hydraulic brakes and a better drivetrain. The advantages of disc brakes go beyond stopping power and control, you can get away with a less than true wheel for longer, fit wider tyres this is a good way of improving comfort without resorting to suspension, my road bike could accommodate 35mm (1.5inch) because it has disc brakes.

Bear in mind that if you are mostly riding on the road then you don't really need suspension at all and you should consider a drop bar bike.

So consider:

Defy 4 or 5 (Drop bars)
    Rapid 3 or 4 (Flat bars)
    Escape 1, RX 2, 2 City

or moving away from Giant the Dawes Discovery 501 is a good flat bar hydraulic hybrid, better spec than the same money for a Giant.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.