Is the BB axle bent/warped?

HellsCyclist
HellsCyclist Posts: 122
edited May 2014 in Workshop
After fitting tiagra cranks back on my road bike, the left crank arm doesnt seem to seat properly against the outer surface of the BB bearing. There seems to be a very small gap along some of the circumference of the axle between the left crank arm and the bearing. This is after everything has been tightened up. Is it ok to ride the bike like this?

Comments

• brownbosh
    brownbosh Posts: 602
    picture? Doesn't sound right to me, did you flip out the retaining "collar" which is attached to the allen key bolt on the left arm before refitting then push it inline again? Are you sure it went on straight? Take off arm and check.
  • HellsCyclist
    HellsCyclist Posts: 122
    Actually its a crank fault. I chucked on the crank from my other road bike and it fits nice and tight. There is some light gouging on the faulty crank so this must be the reason. F**** knows what caused it but its circular gouging around the axle hole. Im gutted coz the crank is only about 6 weeks old although the bottom bracket is new.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Sounds like the bike has been ridden with the crank loose which would deform the splines on the soft alloy. If the crank spindle was bent, it simply wouldn't turn properly.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..