New Frame Advice.

animatedadam
animatedadam Posts: 67
edited May 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi everyone.
Back here after a hiatus from riding and really getting back into it now.
I have a rockhopper comp which I built up myself, and after riding some trails I've found the frame just feels to big and I'm not comfortable riding it in the sharp corners.
I've my eye on the Ragley Piglet, completely fallen in love with its overall look, but I'm wondering are there any other frames worth looking at which are a similar price.
The Ragley is a Steel Frame compared to the aluminum that my rockhopper used to be, would this be a setback in terms of weight? Or are they similar weight and I shouldn't be worried about it?

Just want to make sure I am getting the best for my money :D and any help is much appreciated!

viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12731790

Above is my current Bike, it has been upgraded a bit since those photos, but it shows what frame I have.

Thanks Guys and Gals!

Comments

• Huckfinn
    Huckfinn Posts: 142
    Before getting a new frame, try a shorter stem as it will shorten the cockpit length. If you just want a new frame the ragley is nice, I have a M74 which I believe is the Ally (cheaper) version of the ummbop.

Have a look at On One frames as well they are quite nice
  • Would that improve handling then? My main issue is I feel like my centre of gravity is to high, so if that is something that might solve it I'm all for trying it. I do want to upgrade to a new frame though. How are you fining the M74, I saw it got good reviews
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    Would definitely change the handling, check with your local bike shop, they might have some loaners so you can try before you buy.

If you are in to steel, check out Cotic's offerings. A few of my mates love them.
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • Huckfinn
    Huckfinn Posts: 142
    My m74 is a custom build, but it rides very well I'll post a pic tomorrow. The slightly slacker head tube makes it more stable on decents a gives a more relaxed riding position

If you have a few head spacers under the stem take them out and lower the stem that might help lower you feel lower on the bike. Also could your seat be abit high?
  • Oh good thinking, I'll take some spacers out and try that when I'm out on it next. My seat isn't to high, I usually have it low when I'm on trails.