Building Trek 5 series frameset question

janesy
janesy Posts: 148
edited May 2014 in Workshop
I have purchased a new frame set. Trek 5 Series 2014.

In the process of building it up, What do I do with the internal cable routing.
Do I cut the 'straws' or once the cable is threaded through pull the straws out.
Concerns of doing this is the inner cable cuts through the frame and recabling is a bugger.

Any ideas?
14053194816_a2b64c0ed3_c.jpg
Ritchey Road Logic - Focus Izalco Chrono Max 1.0 TT

Comments

• rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    Why would the inners cut through the frame? And re-cabling won't be that hard assuming the BB cable guide is the type that drops out leaving a hole (and I's assume it is, with two supplied, one for mechanical and one for electric). You can shove the inners down the downtube and use a bit of hooked wire to pull them from inside the frame - well that's what I did on my Argon18.
  • mm1
    mm1 Posts: 1,063
    Leave the straws in place, they act as a cable guide when you are threading the cables, but they also reduce friction where the cable goes round a bend (they are exactly the same as the inners on a lined cable), at least that's what I do.
  • janesy
    janesy Posts: 148
    Thanks chaps.

I spoke with the Engineer in the shop where I purchased the frame, I thought he was out all week.

Anyway, his answer was to remove the cable guides once the inner has been threaded through. Although I may leave at least part of it in especially near the BB I cant see it effecting anything in a negative way.

Thanks for comments.
    Ritchey Road Logic - Focus Izalco Chrono Max 1.0 TT
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    "Engineer"??? Rubbish, Mechanic at best. :)