Trying to make my hybrid more comfy

iand-83
iand-83 Posts: 132
edited May 2014 in Commuting general
Looking for a few ideas what I can do to my Specialized Sirrus to make it a bit more comfy for commuting. So far have decided to change the saddle as the standard one isn't very comfy at all. Also thinking about changing from the standard 28c tyres to something a hit wider like 32/35c as there seems to be ample room. Would this work as these tyres seem to have a lower max rated pressure of around 60/70psi over 120psi for my current tyres.

Comments

• BigLights
    BigLights Posts: 464
    I also have a Sirrus, for inner city dashes. I've actually got 23s as tyres, change the wheels to RS10s. The saddle is based on the Specialized BG Fit efforts, which are really good (depends which Sirrus you have).

The best thing you can do to make it more comfy is get it fitted properly - go to a bike fit. Failing that, have a look at what the recommended geometry should be, angles and all (you'll need a mate to help you) and adjust accordingly. That'll make it more comfy than changing the tyres I suspect as your body position will be just right.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Bigger tyres will make it more comfy - you can get high pressure capable 32mm, look also at grips and the overall riding position, as for the saddle, be sure you butt is hardened before changing the saddle, but the Charge Spoon/Madison Flux is an excellent budget option that seems to suit many.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Do you have the current tyres at max 120PSI? If so then the best change would be simply to let some air out. Depending on your weight, you can normally run 28c at 85-90 PSI and this makes a helluva difference. If you buy bigger tyres and run them at the same pressure, you wont find it any smoother either - the whole point of bigger tyres is the ability to run lower pressures - 60/70 is pushing it a little though...

The Specialized saddles are among the best, but any saddle is only good if it fits your derriere - they some in different shapes and width fittings. When you start cycling, you may find that even a well fitted saddle is uncomfortable until your rear hardens up and gets used to it, so make sure you have worked through this phase first. As Rookie says, the charge saddles are liked by a great many people - seem to work for far more people than any other type of saddle. If you go to an LBS they often have a device for measuring the width of your 'sit bones', which will dictate the width of the saddle you need - you could then check if your current saddle is the right width.

Bar grips can make a big difference too - I like the specialized BG Contour ones as they are soft rubber and have a flange to take some of the pressure of your palms.

If you are getting back/shoulder ache or feel like your riding position isnt right, the Sirrus come with a stem (the bit that holds the handlebars to the top of the fork) that can be adjusted to one of four positions for reach/height.